2012 3rd Qtr. Ohio Attorney General CHL Stats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 3rd Qtr. Ohio Attorney General CHL Stats

Ohio Concealed Handgun Licenses (best estimate) at the end of Sept. 2012 was 314,353. This is an increase of over 12,000 since the end of June, 2012.

Here are the numbers for the 3rd quarter of 2012:

Licenses Issued 13,949

Licenses Renewed 3447

Licenses Suspended 281

Licenses Revoked 547

Licenses Denied 200

License Processes Suspended 16

Temporary Licenses Issued 23

Temporary Licenses Suspended 1

Temporary Licenses Revoked 0

Temporary Licenses Denied 0
    This is the best estimate of the TOTAL CHL statistics since April 2004 through September 2012.
    Licenses Issued 345,855

Licenses Renewed 73,972

Licenses Suspended 4,698

Licenses Revoked 2,104

Licenses Denied 4,942

License Processes Suspended 617

Temporary Licenses Issued 589

Temporary Licenses Suspended 7

Temporary Licenses Revoked 20

Temporary Licenses Denied 25

Licenses Expired 103,370

Total licenses in effect 314,353

Total man (person) years of Ohio Concealed Carry experience at the end of Sept. 2012 was 1,169,631.
    That's over a million people carrying for a year or one very old LAC with a gun. :roll:

Notes:
    1. I apologize for being so late with these totals. Short story: I've been sick and away from my computer.
    2. In this AG report there was a jump in the number of licenses revoked by a factor of 10! A quick look at the individual county stats for the quarter show at least two counties reporting large numbers of revocations, Franklin (386) and Hamilton (55). Prior to this report total revocations for the state were ~60 per quarter. I suspect that some sheriffs offices reported licenses canceled due to licensees passing away or moving out of state as being revoked.
    If they are reporting licenses that have expired and weren't renewed then my total is low because I take into account expired licenses in my spreadsheet.
    AlanM
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
    Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
    If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Thanks for sharing that. Feelin any better?
    Joel
    NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
    Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
    CCC Range committee and Lake committee
    Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=nranews

Comment

Licenses denied and suspened seem high to me.Like to know the reason behind it.

Comment

Licenses denied and suspended seem high to me.Like to know the reason behind it.

I've never compared denial totals against total issued by quarter or suspensions against total CHLs in effect.
        I'll try to do so later next week if anyone is interested. (Surgery early tomorrow morning.)

If you can open an Excel 97-2003 workbook and wish to look at all the AG state total quarterly reports in one swell fwoop PM me with an edress and I'll send it to you. The file is a whopping 60k bytes.
        AlanM
        Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
        If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Comment

there was something like 600 people who got their certificates without going to a class by a ring of trainers, that could explain the spike.

It was on the news some months ago.. not sure if it falls within the q3 or not.

Comment

there was something like 600 people who got their certificates without going to a class by a ring of trainers, that could explain the spike.

It was on the news some months ago.. not sure if it falls within the q3 or not.

Now that you mention it, that's probably the case.
            Can anybody find a reference to that mess?
            I'd like to know why Columbus and Cincinnati areas seem to be the ones hit.
            (I haven't checked the surrounding counties.)
            AlanM

Comment

Can anybody find a reference to that mess?
              I'd like to know why Columbus and Cincinnati areas seem to be the ones hit.
              (I haven't checked the surrounding counties.)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.b2I

Three people were behind bars in connection with issuing approximately 600 invalid concealed carry permits.
              The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office arrested Adam Chaykin, John Michael Marshall and Ken Fouch, who they believed were involved with issuing the invalid weapon permits.
              Sheriff’s deputies began an undercover investigation in April after a complaint was filed about fraudulent training certificates being issued to obtain concealed carry permits.
              According to the sheriff’s office, Marshall, a certified firearm instructor, was selling his signed training certificates to Chaykin and Fouch. Chaykin and Fouch conducted illegal training classes that did not meet the required training—in some cases, no training occurred at all.
              Evidence obtained from a search warrant issued to search the homes of the three men showed them having connection with the scheme.
              Sheriff’s officials believed that about 600 people may have obtained invalid permits. The majority of the permits were issued in Franklin County, but the permits were also issued in other counties throughout Ohio.
              All concealed carry permits issued as part of the scheme that were obtained after Jan. 1, 2010, will be suspended.
              The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office plans to send letters to anyone who has a permit in question.
              Anyone with questions or concerns with their permits can call the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office at 614-525-5090.
              Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee

Comment

Interesting (to me anyway) that Ohio has a little over 300,000 CHL compared to Florida having just gone over the 1,000,000 mark. Florida's population is 19 million compared with Ohio's 11 million. That equates to 1 in 19 having a CHL in Florida to 1 in 36 in Ohio (if my math is correct)

I thought at first it might be that Florida had a "more experienced" (OLDER) population, but Florida's median age is just over 40 (one of 7 states over 40), but Ohio is not far behind with a median age over 38.

Interesting stats. Thanks for posting

Comment

Actually the main difference between the Ohio stats and the Florida stats is that Ohio has no non-resident licenses and Florida does NOT differentiate between residents and nonresidents. That is, with Florida's wide reciprocity many, many people apply for, and get, Florida licenses so that they can legally carry concealed when they travel.
                  I suspect that the Florida resident CHL rate is not much different than the national average, which IIRC is 3 to 5% of the people that are eligible to get one.
                  AlanM

Comment

Alan, do you still keep and publish these statistics? If not you, does anyone else?

-BobK
                    This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed!

It will become a recovery when Obama loses his job.

Living in the Obamination. Μολών Λαβέ

Comment

Alan, do you still keep and publish these statistics? If not you, does anyone else?

-BobK

The Ohio AGs office quit publishing the quarterly reports and my Excel workbook is set up to calculate active licenses by quarters.
                      Short answer. No I haven't been keeping it up to date.

EDIT: OOPS! I just checked The Ohio CHL stats page and LO and Behold! all of the missing quarterly reports are listed. Now to see if they are really there.

EDIT2: Yes, they were there through second quarter of 2014. I searched for and found my Excell workbook. I'll try to get it updated this week.
                      AlanM

Comment

EDIT2: Yes, they were there through second quarter of 2014. I searched for and found my Excell workbook. I'll try to get it updated this week.

Oh, that would be fabulous!

I heard someone claim there were now over 700,000 Ohio licensees. While I think it would be fabulous of the number was that high, it sounds questionable to me.

I always considered your number to be the "gold standard". Looking forward to an update.
                        This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed!

It will become a recovery when Obama loses his job.

Living in the Obamination. Μολών Λαβέ

Comment

The best guess we have is 420K as of Q2 2014.

JLE

Comment

Interesting (to me anyway) that Ohio has a little over 300,000 CHL compared to Florida having just gone over the 1,000,000 mark. Florida's population is 19 million compared with Ohio's 11 million. That equates to 1 in 19 having a CHL in Florida to 1 in 36 in Ohio (if my math is correct)

I thought at first it might be that Florida had a "more experienced" (OLDER) population, but Florida's median age is just over 40 (one of 7 states over 40), but Ohio is not far behind with a median age over 38.

Interesting stats. Thanks for posting

Might have to do with FL requirements 5 year limit on MM drug crimes

we were all young at some point, does the new Ohio law address that???
                            Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton

Comment

This is the best estimate of the TOTAL CHL statistics since April 2004 through June 2014.

Licenses Issued: 490,715

Licenses Renewed: 156,803

Licenses Suspended: 6,829

Licenses Revoked: 9,327

Licenses Denied: 6,763

License Processes Suspended: 734

Temporary Licenses Issued: 679

Temporary Licenses Suspended: 8

Temporary Licenses Revoked: 20

Temporary Licenses Denied: 27

Licenses Expired: 176,375

Total licenses in effect: 461,816

Renewal Rate: 88.90%

Sorry about the formatting. Apparently the forum software isn't handling the code command correctly. It's supposed to switch to fixed a width font in the code block.
                              AlanM

Comment

Working...
                              X