Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any improvements to Ohio carry law this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if you don't know what the law actually says you will, without a doubt, misunderstand many parts of the AG's handbook.

I totally agree with this point.
    I read the book before I attended my class and still had what now seems like idiotic questions.

There is so much ambiguity in the written law it's essentially a pile of rope at your feet.
    The instructors in my class I think did a fair job covering "the book" but I agree it's a far cry from the full legal language.

Comment

Where I have a problem is with instructors that try to teach the law. My experience is many of these instructors don't have a clue as to what the law says. And if you don't know what the law actually says you will, without a doubt, misunderstand many parts of the AG's handbook.

Some instructors (and this is part of human nature when teaching) fall into a mindset that they MUST NOT leave a student's question unanswered. Obviously when dealing with law-related topics, there are certainly instances where no definitive answer is possible. It can be tough on a teacher's ego to say "That part of the ORC is not clear", "I don't know", "Nobody knows for sure", "There's no case law on that yet" or "It's been ruled differently from one court to another" and so forth.

I learned that the first time I volunteered to work an OFCC table at a gun show. You want to help people who come to you with questions but sometimes it's flat out gray area. Or, the question isn't specific enough for a one-size-fits-all response.

Then again there are the instructor types YOU made mention of, color of law.

Comment

Working...
      X