Impact of new NRA tng on Ohio CCW class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of new NRA tng on Ohio CCW class

Does anyone know what impact the move by the NRA to offer the basic pistol course only online will have on Ohio ccw training? Will the NRA course still serve as the basis for Ohio CCW tng?
    Mick3411

????

I thought the NRA only certified instructors and they decided what they teach.. am I wrong?

Comment

I think you must have misunderstood something, Mick3411, as far as I know the NRA basic pistol is still an instructor-led course. But then, maybe I'm behind the curve on this one - do you have a link?
      Christian, Husband, Father
      NRA Life Member
      NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
      NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

Well I was told the basic pistol course is the basis for the Ohio class. I have been using their matls in the classes I teach
        Mick3411

Comment

Well, sort of - the State of Ohio certifies NRA and OPOTA trained instructors as being the only people who can teach the class for an Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL). But, NRA instructors are free to use the NRA Basic Pistol class (and provide an NRA certificate) or make up their own (and supply their own certificate). The class I assist with is taught by an NRA and OPOTA certified instructor, and he uses the NRA Basic Pistol class using NRA materials and provides an NRA certificate, for example.

But my question was more directed at your statement that there was a "move by the NRA to offer the basic pistol course only online". I have not heard that, and was I wondering if you could point me to a link that discusses it?
          NRA Life Member

Comment

Here is the FAQ FROM the NRA site

http://Www.Trainingupdate.nra.org/#3717
            Mick3411

Comment

I got an email from NRA that discussed the change to the online format. I didn't realize I could use anything, sure is nice to use the nra stuff
              Mick3411

Comment

dunno if it's just me but that page is blank.

Comment

Unfortunately, that link comes up as a blank, white page for me...

I still wonder if you've misunderstood something - the Basic Pistol class has a shooting requirement, and instructors are there in part to help novice shooters correct basic errors in shooting technique. I just don't see how that could work as an online course.
                  NRA Life Member

Comment

Unfortunately, that link comes up as a blank, white page for me...

I still wonder if you've misunderstood something - the Basic Pistol class has a shooting requirement, and instructors are there in part to help novice shooters correct basic errors in shooting technique. I just don't see how that could work as an online course.

Here is a better link. NRA instructors have gotten multple emails about this since the NRA Convention this year. They even had a special session at the convention

http://trainingupdate.nra.org/#3717
                    Mick3411

Comment

My understanding is the class is going to be half online, half in the class. However, students MUST take the online prior to taking the classroom portion. If one teaches the NRA class, the big question is how does that work then? The NRA basic pistol class is 8 hours. I have no idea what is being moved online, but say 4 hours is now moved online. That now makes everyone take a 16 hour class UNLESS the instructor has enough computers and tablets for everyone in the class to do the online portion in their classroom. Otherwise, I doubt you can say they spent 4 hours online at home when I have yet to hear the NRA mention any way of them recording time. I keep hearing them refer to it as an "at your own pace" type course.

Now, my next question is, the NRA does nothing for free. So I'm guessing if students take it online at home they will pay a fee there and then have to pay a local fee to the instructors. So, now instructors will lose money unless again, they provide their own location to do the online class and take the cost out of their fees.

Now, the biggest problem I see is I keep hearing rumors that the NRA is going back to requiring instructors teach their course once a year. So, if one elects to follow Ohio law and just make up their own class, they still have to make a second lesson plan based on teaching the NRA way to maintain their certification. That can be a royal pain.

I understand the logic behind the NRA going this way, but think it hurts Ohio as our training requirements are currently written. If the classroom portion is moved to 4 hours, then it may work but some of the requirements need to be changed. As written I would still be required to teach:

(i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;
                      (ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;
                      (iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
                      (iv) Gun handling training.

Can that be done in 4 hours with range time? And would students be interested if they already did that online? I think many would fall asleep or be really annoyed in class. Therefore I think those portions of the ORC would need to be changed to mention online training in those areas would count.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Comment

Thanks Mick3411, that link worked - and I see that it is not strictly an online course but a "blended" course with (as JediSkipDog also mentioned) 4 hours of online instruction and the rest instructor-led, which addresses my questions and concerns about the class.

Still, I do wonder how that will affect training for an Ohio CHL. Will Ohio allow the online portion to count for 4 hours of classroom instruction or not? I have a hard time believing Ohio CHL instructors will set up classrooms full of computers for students to take the online portion during the state-mandated classroom time.

Lots of questions, not enough answers at this point.
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

Mick3411, I did email the NRA on this still waiting for an answer. But my question is using the NRA program how can an instructor cover themselves using the "blended" class and account for the classroom hours. I'm making my own lesson plan very very close off the Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home, that will cover my hours so when this happens I'll be ready.
                          Now to cover the teach a class once year for the NRA, I have some ideas: teach a family member , teach another NRA instructor then they teach you, something like that once a year.
                          Retired Navy
                          NRA Instructor

Comment

I just talked to the instructor for the classes I assist and it was his understanding that the blended training was going to be an option but would not be required. So, if that is correct, an NRA instructor would still be able offer the traditional instructor-led 8-hour NRA Basic Pistol class as the core of a CHL class. We will just have to wait and see how things develop...
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

Thats my take on it also, this is an option but not a mandate.
                              Personally can't see instructors teaching the class for the purpose of a CHL in ohio using the online option even if there is no problem with the law.

There is a lot of bad but there is also a lot of good information on guns online already.
                              I think classes should be in person.

I personally don't think the NRA should even make this online accessible outside of informal information.

Most firearms are not particular complex to learn, It's hands on exp that counts more then anything imo and that is something you'll never get online even it's only a part I still view it as inferior.

Comment

Working...
                              X