"houses of worship"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "houses of worship"?

(Wonder if this is the right place to put this.)

As most of us know, "houses of worship" are CPZ's by statute unless the facility management signs off on it. Stupid law, but....

(I'm working on my Synagogue's board to change it to "friendly".)

Meantime, the wife works at a local nursing home, and since I won't attend the Synagogue, is going to the home's chapel for some holidays. (Her mom's a resident there.)

So, my question: Is the non-denominational chapel fully inside a nursing home a "house of worship" with respect to the CPZ issue, presuming the entire facility isn't posted?

I think we've already agreed that the absence of a locked-down psych ward (and/or child care facility) makes it strictly up to management and not statutory.

Regards,
    <t>Stu<br><br>(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)<br><br>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE<br><br>יזכר לא עד פעם</t>

As much as I'd like it to be different, it looks to me like it qualifies - ORC 2923.126 doesn't say "house of worship", it says "or other place of worship":
    (6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;

I'd personally have to say a chapel qualifies as a "place of worship".
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

Thats a badly written law, technically a prayer closet in your home would qualify the way thats written.

Comment

Is it a “place of worship?”

Does this “place of worship” have a board of directors/trustees?

Is this “place of worship” built on tax exempt property?

Is a person privileged from arrest while in this “place of worship?”

Under R.C. 5104.01 “Child day-care definitions” is the only place in the O.R.C. the term "Place of worship" is defined. But, this definition only applies to a Child day-care facility.

"Place of worship" means a building where activities of an organized religious group are conducted and includes the grounds and any other buildings on the grounds used for such activities.
        As to case law there is slim to none. And what does exist deals with tax exemption.

A so called chapel in a nursing home I would bet does not fall into the undefined definition of a “place of worship.”

Comment

I have the feeling that a couple of lawyers could make their pensions trying to sort this one out.

The Chapel is non-denominational now. The place used to be exclusively Jewish, but opened the doors for economic reasons, and, I think, some Federal finagling.... So, it's just a room with a sort of altar at one end.

However, it also looks like the property might be a statutory CPZ.... Or not ....

I think I agree with COL, but IANAL.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Regards,
          <t>Stu<br><br>(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)<br><br>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE<br><br>יזכר לא עד פעם</t>

Comment

It would seem to me that a key part of the definition is that there is a "ruling body" in charge of the worship. A church can be a building....they sell them all the time, if it has no congregation or is not owned by some outfit, lets presume it is real estate for sale, does the ban apply ?? IMHO no it does not.

And a place set aside for people to use as they see fit in a worship fashion if they so desire, does not fit the definition either ??

There was a place South of Bryan, Ohio that had a wall in the parking lot, concrete block wall with maybe a few benches on the back side, it had a sign that said "a Quiet Place"....as far as I know you could drive in, park, and go sit there if the need or want struck you. Was that a place of worship ?? No doubt it was for some folks.
            America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

Comment

I like this Quote from an above post.

"Place of worship" means a building where activities of an organized religious group are conducted and includes the grounds and any other buildings on the grounds used for such activities.

Comment

Just worship the ancient Norse Gods like I do, and you aren't allowed into Valhalla without a weapon in hand ... :ewink:

Seriously though, the biggest issue I have with this idiotic/unclear law provision is the church that is our charter organization for Scouts won't give any of the scout leaders (or any other members) permission ... It's really the only place I don't carry other than work. Everywhere else I avoid CPZs like the plague.
                US NAVY VETERAN
                Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
                Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
                NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

Comment

Willbird:

Good definition.... Services are held with some regularity. with "management" arranging them, but I don't think that's considered a religious group itself.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                  X