Bill 234 and Additional Reciprocity!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill 234 and Additional Reciprocity!

Ohio will pick up the states of Colorado and Georgia on March 23, 2015. Both states have reciprocity laws that state they will honor any states permit that honors theirs. They do not need a signed agreement or anything. It is automatic. I contacted my contact inside the Colorado DPS and they were not aware of the new Ohio law but he told me he would contact Ohio immediately. So Colorado should add Ohio to their list to make it official on or about 3/23/15. I sent info to Georgia AG but they have always been slow at doing anything especially adding states to their listing. But they have to honor Ohio on the laws effective date.

Texas will most likely add Ohio. Texas did not unilaterally honor Ohio as Ohio has reciprocity in their law. Texas has unilaterally honored every state that doesn’t have reciprocity in their laws. CA, MA, NJ, NY, MD etc. They would not honor WV for the same reason until we would honor theirs as we had reciprocity in our laws.

There is no reason why Pennsylvania will not sign with Ohio now. The hold up on that was all from Ohio’s end as PA does not require training. With their present AG PA will most likely require a written agreement as their AG is making it so only resident permits from the states they honor are valid in PA. Ohio’s new law will allow those who live out of state but work in Ohio to apply.

There is a good chance Wisconsin will add Ohio but most likely only for Permit/Licenses issued after the effective date of the new law. WI honors others states the same way because they changed the way they run back ground checks which is required by their law.

New Hampshire should sign with Ohio. They honor permits from Michigan and Pennsylvania
    which have issue criteria that are miles apart. I believe Ohio was the hang up with New Hampshire's issue criteria before the new Ohio Law.

Maine is the quirky one. I have no idea how they go through their process. They have signed with Michigan and Pennsylvania So they should sign with anyone.

Ohio will most likely have to contact Texas, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Maine to get those states on board. They should also contact Georgia just so Georgia puts something official on their website about honoring Ohio. I will hear it from a lot of people if I say GA honors OH and the GA AG is not stating that though GA has to honor Ohio.

So after this law goes into effect contacting the Ohio AG asking them to contact those states might make things happen a lot faster. But I see no reason why the Ohio Permit/License to Carry can’t be valid in every state that has reciprocity in their laws. That would make the Ohio Permit/License valid in 40 states counting Ohio. That is the max any state can have.

Great information! Thanks for the detailed breakdown.

JLE

Comment

How will Indiana residents come out in the Law change? Will they be able to CC in Ohio?

Comment

Below is the new law that goes into effect 3/23/15. Ohio will honor all other states.

(3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state, regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily in this state, during the time that the person is temporarily in this state the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

Comment

Working...
        X