being a convicted felon with guns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being a convicted felon with guns

how long is jail/prison time if someone was convicted of a felony and been out of prison for some time how long would their time be if caught with guns in their home

In Ohio, that's Having weapons while under disability, a 3rd Degree Felony: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.13v1

Penalty for a 3rd Degree Felony ranges from 9 to 36 months.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

• jim minarish
      jim minarish commented
      Editing a comment
      but in youngstown the mayor sign ed along with the atf that its fedderal time and ten years in federal prison not state prison

Sounds like you answered your own question then - yes, if the Feds are involved it is worse. Under federal law, the crime of Felon in Possession of a Firearm is a Class D felony, punishable by up to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release, and $250,000 in fines.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

From what I have seen, and I have researched cases with this charge in the past, it is unlikely to receive a charge for posession without other circumstances. For instance you are stopped and your car is searched. As many times as I have been stopped for speeding, failure to yield, etc., I have never been close to having my vehicle searched. At least in the US. Federalis definitely tossed my car in Mexico at a checkpoint because I wouldn't give them a bribe. Literally took absolutely everything out of my car and tossed it in the street.
      Anyways, it does give anyone who is angry at you a fair bit of leverage "Joe Bob is a felon and keeps a Glock under the driver seat" could lead to police involvement.

I personally would rather avoid 9 months in state, let alone ten years in Federal custody. The only way to go is contacting a lawyer and attempting to have your conviction expunged/sealed/whatevered.

Comment

its not me i have a clean record to get a gun and i got my chl permit its someone i know that is and has guns in his house plus hie one son carries a gun illegally

Comment

Well, if caught, he has a lengthy stretch in front of him. If feuding, a phone call and you win.

Comment

Originally posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
            Well, if caught, he has a lengthy stretch in front of him. If feuding, a phone call and you win.
            no feuding how long is he looking at in prison

Comment

"if the Feds are involved it is worse. Under federal law, the crime of Felon in Possession of a Firearm is a Class D felony, punishable by up to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release, and $250,000 in fines."
              That long. There is always the possibility of serving time at home, early release, etc., but you can't count on that. I know of a pedophile who was over 70 with health issues and was caught watching things on internet. Feds tried pretty hard to leave him at home with an ankle monitor. He kept trying to argue with everyone that being interested in three-year-olds was no different than interracial marriage in the 1950s and 50 years from now everyone would agree it was acceptable(among other things). Sort of wore out his welcome everywhere pretty fast and they didn't have much choice but to take him. Floated around with an ankle monitor for about two years though. Blew my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
                "if the Feds are involved it is worse. Under federal law, the crime of Felon in Possession of a Firearm is a Class D felony, punishable by up to ten years in prison, three years of supervised release, and $250,000 in fines."
                That long. There is always the possibility of serving time at home, early release, etc., but you can't count on that. I know of a pedophile who was over 70 with health issues and was caught watching things on internet. Feds tried pretty hard to leave him at home with an ankle monitor. He kept trying to argue with everyone that being interested in three-year-olds was no different than interracial marriage in the 1950s and 50 years from now everyone would agree it was acceptable(among other things). Sort of wore out his welcome everywhere pretty fast and they didn't have much choice but to take him. Floated around with an ankle monitor for about two years though. Blew my mind.
                damn i think the feds are in my area now not sure i heard they was

Comment

Working...
                X