Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome atek3... bit of a drive for you from Cleveland area, but come on down to my range and visit some time. I actually have several customers who come down here from NE Ohio because of the lack of public shooting facilities up there. As for FFL's in your area, have to let someone from up there pipe in... $25 for a transfer is pretty standard tho.
    Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

• Hello,

With the latest gun-grabbing shenanigans, I'm looking to be a bit more active politically....especially with all this talk of "Red Flag" legislation going on. The Constitution is clear, but our government (all 3 branches, and all three levels....Fed, State, Local) just doesn't seem to get it.

Anyhow, I'm In Parma, Ohio...Cuyahoga County. Let me know if anything is planned in terms of protests at the Statehouse anytime soon. With the NRA tangled up in it's own underwear right now, it seems we will have to carry our own weight for a bit.

Mike Doerner

Comment

• Joe Madison
        Bettsville, OH

NRA and SAF Life
        Cert Instructor
        Semi-retired
        Letter writer and emailer since PRO days. Dusting off the keyboard now...

Comment

• Mike S

Retired

Late bloomer with firearms

Butler County
          BFA Member
          NRA Life Member

Comment

• Welcome Mike S, glad you stopped by! Take off your hat and stay a while :-)
            Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

• Hello from an American living abroad, in a place where we're effectively not allowed to own guns. Or rather, only a select few, approved by the police, are so allowed -- farmers and wealthy businessmen who shoot grouse. A different world. (And no handguns at all.)

So why am I here? Although I live overseas, I pay attention to American politics, since (1) I am one, and (2) America is vital for freedom in the world, something I care about a lot. Someday ... hopefully... it won't be ... all the major countries will be liberal democracies. But right now, it's the Fortress of Liberty. I've been fairly politically passive for the last ten years, but over the last two or three years I have become increasingly alarmed by what is happening in the US -- the direction it's taking.

I think of myself as a conservative, but ... probably a lot of conservatives would not agree -- and in fact, I'm probably closer to being a 1960 JFK/FDR Democrat than to anything else. But ... that sort of Democratic Party is long gone. (I grew up in Texas, in Houston, in the 1950s and we were ALL Democrats. There was a rumor that there was a Republican in Dallas, but none of us really believed it.) Now all my relatives in Texas are Republicans.

I come back to the US almost every year for a month or two, and worked for conservative candidates in the elections in 2010 and 2012. I'm planning to do that next year as well.

But ...I'm a student of history (on the side) -- I earned my living teaching Computer Science at University [and I still teach Computer Science, and tutor kids in mathematics and science in general] -- and I have become very worried about America's future. It reminds very much of several other societies as they approached implosion. lkthings don't change much from one day to the next so it's easy to project that forward indefinitely into the future. But I see the trends. (I blame this on the Leftist takeover of academia, which I know a lot about. --both the Left and academia. Over time, it has proved very powerful at destroying fundamental American culture. We're seeing the results now.)

Anyway, I have some ideas about how to try to prepare for the future, and so I'm trying to talk to the sort of people who are likely to care, which includes gun-owners. (As for guns -- I had to leave mine behind when I moved abroad, but when I visit my nephew in Idaho I shoot his AR15. And fifty years ago I fired thousands of rounds out of its granddaddy the M16, all paid for by Uncle Sam.)

So I'll be asking for comments on some of the things I've been thinking about ... just thinking out loud on some of them, and getting the responses of other serious people.

Comment

• Welcome aboard Doug1943! Glad I approved your profile...

I tend not to approve any IP address originating from over seas. Yours looked pretty legit, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Look forward to hearing your perspective from across the pond, and the discussions that will surely ensue...

Comment

• Hello all. Given name is Pat but I go by Gaz,

Novelty, Ohio
                  Geauga Co.

NRA Life member
                  GSSF member
                  USPSA member and RO

Gaz

Comment

• Hey Gaz...welcome aboard!

Comment

• Hello everyone, I'm Jack Simonton from Blythewood, SC. After a long time lurking I finally join this forum just a few days ago and I really glad to be a part of this forum.

Comment

• Welcome Jack! Glad you finally decided to take the plunge

Look forward to seeing your future posts and such...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          Welcome Jack! Glad you finally decided to take the plunge

Look forward to seeing your future posts and such...
                          Thank you so much sir.

Comment

• Sean Smiddy, USAF-Ret
                            referred to BFA indirectly by article posted by GOA, of which I'm a member, to find a state firearms group to support.
                            Member USCCA as well.
                            4th Deg Knight of Columbus, Centerville, Oh Assembly 3056
                            Desert Shield/Storm theatre of operations
                            Retired.
                            Married to the lovely woman I've been with since age 16, for 30 years. Two adult children.
                            1911 is my fav and primary carry. BUG and second fav is a Sig P365XL
                            Been carrying since Ohio started CHL licensing, whatever year that was - honestly dont recall.

Interested in getting CCW Instructor Certification for Ohio.

Comment

• Welcome Smiddy.... make yourself at home!

Comment

• hi i'm jim in girard ohio in trumbull county

Comment

Working...
                                X