Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ohio legislature just banned all long guns!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ohio legislature just banned all long guns!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! The Ohio legislature just banned all long guns! See: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/leg...d=GA132-HB-228. See page 15.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.

DELETED
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms**disarm only those who [don't] commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides." - Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

NO they didn't! Where in the world you get that from?
      2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
      Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
      Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
      NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor

Comment

Read this article and it explains everything in the bill.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/upda...governors-desk
        2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
        Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
        Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
        NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor

Comment

They just added the following language to R.C. § 2923.11(K):

“(7) Any firearm with an overall length of at least twenty- six inches that is approved for sale by the federal bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives under the "Gun Control Act of 1968," 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3), but that is found by the bureau not to be regulated under the "National Firearms Act," 68A Stat. 725 (1934), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a).”

Thereby adding any firearm that fits that definition to the list of “Dangerous Ordnance.” The same classification as machine guns, which are prohibited by R.C. § 2923.17.

Tell me how my mother’s over-under 410/22lr does not fit that definition.

Comment

They just added the following language to R.C. § 2923.11(K):

“(7) Any firearm with an overall length of at least twenty- six inches that is approved for sale by the federal bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives under the "Gun Control Act of 1968," 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3), but that is found by the bureau not to be regulated under the "National Firearms Act," 68A Stat. 725 (1934), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a).”

Thereby adding any firearm that fits that definition to the list of “Dangerous Ordnance.” The same classification as machine guns, which are prohibited by R.C. § 2923.17.

Tell me how my mother’s over-under 410/22lr does not fit that definition.

But see R.C. § 2923.11(L)(2)

"(L) "Dangerous ordnance" does not include any of the following:
            (2) Any pistol, rifle, or shotgun, designed or suitable for sporting purposes, including a
            military weapon as issued or as modified, and the ammunition for that weapon, unless the firearm is
            an automatic or sawed-off firearm;"

So your mother's 410/22lr is exempted.
            Christian, Husband, Father
            NRA Life Member
            NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
            NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

Is hunting rabbits a sport? Three gun is a sport. But we don’t live in reality. ATF’s definition of sporting purposes would include the rabbit gun, but its exclusions sounds a whole lot like the Feinstein/Clinton assault weapons ban. So either this is the most serendipitous windfall for all those gun grabbers that were at the statehouse this week or it is the most creative and surreptitious assault weapons ban that Governor Taft, I mean Kasich, could orchestrate.

Comment

One of the greatest threats to our freedoms and liberties is false information. Obama/Holder/Bloomberg/NBC/etc. are masters of spreading false information. They know that we are right, and the only way to accomplish their goal of disarming us is to convince the masses of a falsehood. When we help them, we are shooting ourselves in the foot/head. They are in the minority - but when people on our side start helping spread a false narrative, it becomes dangerous.

Comment

The Ohio legislature just banned all long guns! – False!

HB228 contained a drafting error which has created some confusion about dangerous ordnance. - True

There is a simple, easy technical fix. It has been rafted and several legislators have bills to correct the error.

Comment

And now both the House and Senate are dragging their feet over this "simple, easy technical fix". It seems they need some Democrat "yea" votes. Being that the Republicans hold solid majorities in both Chambers, that must mean some of the squishy 'Pubs are ascared to vote for it.
                    <t>"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers. <br><br> Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''<br><br>--CAR15A2, 3/31/09</t>

Comment

Why is my post directly above marked as "Unapproved", and show up with a yellow background?
                      <t>"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers. <br><br> Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''<br><br>--CAR15A2, 3/31/09</t>

Comment

I understand that BFA is in damage control mode because it sponsored HB 228, but the name calling and misinformation on the forums and on the front page of BFA is offensive. That type of arrogance and condescension can kill a forum quickly. Maybe I should say that continued arrogance and condescension can keep a forum in the grave.

Defining all firearms over 26 inches as a dangerous ordnance unless a specific exception applies (e.g., sporting purpose exception that courts have said specifically excludes ar-15 style rifles and the ATF has defined it to read like the assault weapons ban that DeWine supported when he was in the Congress) expressly prohibits long guns that fall outside of those exceptions no matter what the bill analysis says. No court has ever ruled that the bill analysis overrides the actual language in the law.

Moreover, if the drafting error does not ban firearms over 26 inches unless very specific exceptions apply, why is there an emergency need correct the it before HB 228 takes effect? Moreover, why do the gun grabbing freedom hating democrats want to stop the fix from going forward?

The fake news was BFA continuing to run articles about how HB 228 will legalize the shockwave firearm AFTER, not before, BFA knew of the drafting error that, in fact, it specifically prohibited such firearms and more.

I understand the need to try to fix it quietly so as not to bring it to the attention to those who would throw money to legislators to oppose any fix, but lying about it when we all know better was wrong.

Truth is the breath of life for forums.

Comment

Could you please point me toward the "misinformation and name calling" in the forums so I can deal with it Liberty...

You call us arrogant and condescending, pretty wide sweeping statement for an organization made up of so many patriots (most of whom you've never met) working hard for your rights, some of us with little to no recognition or thanks.

Also, you are quick to accuse us of fake news, while attempting to run the narrative here. The topic could be discussed without the attacks. I do not see any effort on your part in offering to help, or find out if there was anything you could do to assist in resolving this matter?!?!

Will you be in the Senate Hearing to testify in favor of the fix Liberty? Date and time is set...

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

Originally posted by brian d. View Post
                            And now both the House and Senate are dragging their feet over this "simple, easy technical fix". It seems they need some Democrat "yea" votes. Being that the Republicans hold solid majorities in both Chambers, that must mean some of the squishy 'Pubs are ascared to vote for it.
                            The reason Democrat votes are needed is because emergency legislation requires a 2/3 majority of both houses. There are enough Repubs in the Senate to do this alone (22 needed, 24 Repubs in the Senate), but we fall 5 votes short in the house assuming all 61 Repubs vote for it (66 votes needed).
                            Christian, Husband, Father
                            NRA Life Member
                            NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
                            NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

Also nothing is "simple and easy" when it comes to passing legislation. It must be drafted and there are books of rules that must be adhered to.

But the Senate voted SB53 our of committee this morning and the full Senate passed it by a 24-8 vote today. The emergency clause also passed 24-8.

Buckeye Firearms does not need to be in "damage control mode" because HB228 was an excellent bill that will benefit Ohioan's for decades, but contained a drafting error which will be corrected before HB228's effective date. There is so much misinformation on this stuff, which I can understand. HS civics class does not teach (and we were not paying attention) all the details of this stuff. But it's not that uncommon and not the big deal that some have made this out to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X