Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting Ohio deer season with AR Pistol ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Ohio deer season with AR Pistol ?

Is it legal to use a AR Pistol in Ohio for deer if you stick too hunting pistol rules ( .357 cal. and larger , straight wall , 5 inch and longer barrel ) ? I can't find a clear anser online Thanks ... Jeff

Jeff:

Welcome aboard!

I can't answer your question authoritatively, but I'd guess "yes" in that AR Pistol probably qualifies (although the pure ATF definition may not precisely cover it) as an SBR, and about all you really can worry about is the straight-wall case. (Qualifies as a pistol, too .)

I'm sure we've got somebody here who can give you a definitive statement. When I thought about it (I'm not a hunter), it seemed like my full-sized 1911's would "fit", but I think there was a zinger in there somemplace. My Officer's sized 1911 wouldn't make it on the barrel length...

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/vi...hp?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing. No need to go past the first couple pages....

Regards,
    <t>Stu<br><br>(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)<br><br>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE<br><br>יזכר לא עד פעם</t>

Comment

Thanks ... Stu Will be looking forward enjoying this Association ...

Comment

I can't help either,,,,but I'm sure there would be limits on rounds in the mag.

John

Comment

I meant to double check ODNR regulations but what the OP described using should certainly be legal.

Comment

I think as long as you met the barrel length and caliber requirement it would be fine.
            Joel
            NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
            Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
            CCC Range committee and Lake committee
            Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=nranews

Comment

I can't help either,,,,but I'm sure there would be limits on rounds in the mag.

John

Nope, no mag capacity limits :-)....if you can find a 100 round 450 bushmaster beta magazine you are free to use it :-).
              America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

Comment

Good dear enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by jcdflint View Post
                  Is it legal to use a AR Pistol in Ohio for deer if you stick too hunting pistol rules ( .357 cal. and larger , straight wall , 5 inch and longer barrel ) ? I can't find a clear anser online Thanks ... Jeff
                  Here are the regs for hunting deer with any cal.

Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger. The barrel is measured from the front of the cylinder or chamber to the end of the barrel.

This would make the AR-Pistol illegal to use unfortunately. I think all Calibers should be legal but it is what it is, for now. And far as ammo in the mags...Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

You would have to think the same for any auto loading pistol. Good luck getting straight answers from the OHDNR, everyone has a different answer on every question asked.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-...ting-equipment

Hope that helped!

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Comment

If you had an AR pistol with a 5" or longer barrel chambered in .450 bushmaster it would be legal...
                    Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      If you had an AR pistol with a 5" or longer barrel chambered in .450 bushmaster it would be legal...
                      Yes, you're right. Any AR platform with a straight walled cartridge would be legal. I was just thinking of any bottled neck cartridge.

Just remember your 3 round maximum in your firearm. Which, is another ridiculous regulation.

Comment

Agreed, the 3 round limit is silly. At least we no longer have to install a "plug" or modify our guns to only accept 3 rounds anymore. That was actually a result of my straight walled rifle cartridge proposal, that was an added bonus once we got it finalized. It took 8 yrs to get that pushed through and in the end, it was a personal relationship with some of our state level politicritters that affected the ODNR regulatory change.
                        Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          Agreed, the 3 round limit is silly. At least we no longer have to install a "plug" or modify our guns to only accept 3 rounds anymore. That was actually a result of my straight walled rifle cartridge proposal, that was an added bonus once we got it finalized. It took 8 yrs to get that pushed through and in the end, it was a personal relationship with some of our state level politicritters that affected the ODNR regulatory change.
                          Well, that's interesting.

I've been trying get someone to listen to me for years about carrying open or concealed for bow hunting without a permission slip while IN THE WOODS. The OHDNR told me I needed to call the Ohio AG Office. The Ohio AG office told me it was a OHDNR to try to change this absurd law. Which is it and do you know how this can be changed?

In past years I've been attacked by wild dogs in my ground blind. Luckily, I was able to kick them away, that time. One shot arrows don't get it with a Bow or xbows. Not to mention the new siting of black bears in our areas, bobcats and coyotes. Any of the critters with rabies are a threat. And you know how I feel about the threats Black Bears. When I was kid, my dad shot a red fox that started chasing my brother and I that had rabies.

Don't get me started by threats of trespassers, hidden drug crops with thugs patrolling the woods. Why do I need permission to carry for self defense in any form in the WOODS while hunting with any hunting device?

This needs to change. W.Va. changed this law 5 years ago with no issues. You can carry in any form for self defense while bow hunting, muzzleloaders or other.

Comment

Here's the Bobcat and Coyotes we are seeing.

Comment

Working...
                            X