Ohio, Black Bears and Self Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio, Black Bears and Self Defense

I grew up and worked in Black Bear country in W.Va. and thought this might be worth a mention after I saw a press release by the OHDNR that said Black Bear Sightings are increasing in Ohio and just reported they will not bother you and if you see one, don't bother it and back away. I think this is irresponsible and omitted other facts about black bears could get people killed. We have a woman killed by black bear in Bluefield WV a few years ago. Had an older woman attacked in her back yard filling her bird feeder in Buckannon WV last year. and many other attacks with WV increased in bear population.

What To Do If You Encounter a Bear

Black bears are usually fearful of people, therefore bear attacks are a rare occurrence. Bears do not attack or kill children or pets as long as the bear is given its space and not cornered. (THIS IS NOT TRUE) The first thing to do when you see a bear is REMAIN CALM. Generally, black bears are non-aggressive and prefer to flee from the area as soon as they are aware of your presence. If you encounter a bear, and it is not aware of your presence, simply back away from the area slowly. If the bear is aware of your presence and it does not leave the area, avoid direct eye contact with the animal, give the bear an easy escape route and again, simply back slowly away from the area. Always avoid running or climbing trees, which may provoke a chase. An easy way to remember this is to be AWARE:
    • Act calm and do not run.
    • Warn the bear that you are near; talk in a firm, calm voice.
    • Allow space between you and the bear. Step aside and back slowly away. Do not make the bear feel trapped or threatened.
    • Raise your hands above your head to appear larger if the bear approaches. Clap your hands or shout to scare the bear away.
    • Exit the area.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-...-bears-in-ohio

They didn't even suggest you to have bear spray with you. I've been in between a bear cub and her sow once while at work and it wasn't a good feeling. I didn't move and thankfully the cub ran toward the sow and they left, but it was a heart racing experience.

Many don't know this, but during bow season, you can not carry a gun concealed or open unless you have a permission slip from the state. So, you have one shot maybe two if you're lucky with your bow if you ever encountered a bear attack. That needs to change. I shouldn't need permission to carry in the woods for any reason.

You should be armed with something to protect yourself and the State should acknowledge that to defend yourself. Bears are not pets, deer or an animal you can trust that will not kill you. You need to be aware of that and arm yourselves in bear country.

Here's another story.

Bears And A Lion; Victims Should Have Had A Gun

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/bea...#axzz5xLEPUyBN

Last edited by wvriflemannoh; 08-22-2019, 07:17 PM.
    I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

I would swear that in '78 when I first moved into Ohio and the Cleveland area there was a continuing story for a week or two about a black bear being spotted that had crossed over into Ohio from Pennsylvania. I got the impression that that was a very rare event in NE Ohio. At the time I thought it strange since I grew up in eastern Washington and the Idaho panhandle and black bears were quite common.
    AlanM
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
    Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
    If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Comment

Back in '92 when I was working on my Fish & Wildlife management degree, I had a fellow student in one of my classes do a term paper on the Black Bear. Our instructor refused to accept it and gave him a big fat ZERO on the assignment because "black bear no longer occur in Ohio" according to him...even tho we could hike him right out to a den site for proof they were back!
      Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

I think the OHDNR was doing the same thing about Coyotes. They refused to accept they were killing our chickens back in the early 2000’s. Arrogant ignorant bunch at the OHDNR.

And they keep telling Ohioans that Coyotes will never harm you. That’s not true either. They will and they can kill children pets and adults if there is more than one. Does it happen often? No, but the risk is still there especially with rabid Coyote. This lying to the public is incredible. And yes, there very many folks today that very ignorant of wildlife until it’s too late. Why does the Govt think keeping people unsafe against Defending themselves in everything is a good idea?

Comment

Don't recall the ODNR denying the presence of coyote's in the early 2000's. As a matter of fact, we ran a research program in 1990 at college where coyote carcass' were sent to us from around the state. Trappers and predator hunters sent their harvest (after skinning), and road kill carcass's were brought to us from around Ohio for stomach content analysis to understand diet, and uterine scar studies to determine litter size. The coyote necropsy program was in direct cooperation with the ODNR and all our data went directly to them.
          Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

Back in the early 90’s Late 80’s I use to hunt NE Ohio A lot, and I’d had OHDNR Officer tell me I was seeing dogs not Coyotes. Ohio didn’t have Coyotes. Of course, these were the same guys telling me a .22 rimfire could shoot 5 miles......Maybe if you drove it there. ????

Comment

Well, maybe all the DNR officers hadn't gotten the memo. Or, maybe your recollection was more from late 80's time frame before things really got rolling state wide... I was a younger man back then. Never saw a coyote in NW (Williams Co) Oh...first was when I went to college in Southern Oh, in 1990.

Comment

In the early 2000's in Stow (NE of Akron) I was sitting at my computer late one night and was surprised to hear the howling of a pack of coyotes quite close to my house. The area is wooded so it's not like they were holding a sing fest in downtown.

I've heard coyotes before in Washington and Idaho so I can say with pretty good certainty that I heard coyotes that night.
                AlanM
                There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
                Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
                If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Comment

Originally posted by alanm View Post
                  In the early 2000's in Stow (NE of Akron) I was sitting at my computer late one night and was surprised to hear the howling of a pack of coyotes quite close to my house. The area is wooded so it's not like they were holding a sing fest in downtown.

I've heard coyotes before in Washington and Idaho so I can say with pretty good certainty that I heard coyotes that night.
                  Got my first and EVER speeding ticket in Stow, Ohio when I worked in Streetsboro. I was doing 40 in a 35. It was on Stow Rd if I remember right, in 1988.

Yes, you read that right....

i hunted all over NE Ohio When I could. I even hunted private land (with bow) that bordered the Cuyahoga National Forest. Some of the biggest bucks I’ve ever in life was there. And yes, Coyotes.

Comment

Working...
                  X