Media downplays guns stopping bears attacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media downplays guns stopping bears attacks

“The media reports are emphasizing the effectiveness of bear spray, and mostly ignoring the effectiveness of 9 mm pistols. You have to search to determine pistols were used and effective.”

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/pis...#axzz6115xJ64X

I carry a firearm because a cop is too heavy and takes too many breaks.

Montani Semper Liberi - (Mountaineers Are Always Free)

Originally posted by wvriflemannoh View Post
    “The media reports are emphasizing the effectiveness of bear spray, and mostly ignoring the effectiveness of 9 mm pistols. You have to search to determine pistols were used and effective.”

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/pis...#axzz6115xJ64X
    Yea..i guess the bear spray would be better than nothing..and why 9mm..? even with +P ammo i wouldnt think that would drop a bear. Maybe thats the only gun they owned..? so thats what they took with them. I would feel better having a .357, or .44Mag for bears. Or better yet...a stainless 45/70 Big loop Guide gun...Theres a real pretty one at my LGS....been trying to justify the purchase for a few months now...but the Polar Bear threat here in S/W Ohio just isnt what it used to be......lol.

Comment

lol, not Polar Bears, but Black bears

Ohio is seeing a significant increase in black bears in SE and NE Ohio. I posted another thread on this in the Great Outdoors and how the ODNR ignores the threats Black bears can be and why you should be armed in these areas to protect yourself from Black Bears in Ohio. They can and will kill you. Many have.

Yea, 9MM isn't my fist choice against a bear of any sort either but, it's better than nothing, and in my view better than bear spray. Most folks who Conceal Carry or Open Carry in Ohio will not be carrying a Wheel Gun for self defense now days.

Comment

lol, not Polar Bears, but Black bears

Ohio is seeing a significant increase in black bears in SE and NE Ohio. I posted another thread on this in the Great Outdoors and how the ODNR ignores the threats Black bears can be and why you should be armed in these areas to protect yourself from Black Bears in Ohio. They can and will kill you. Many have.

Yea, 9MM isn't my fist choice against a bear of any sort either but, it's better than nothing, and in my view better than bear spray. Most folks who Conceal Carry or Open Carry in Ohio will not be carrying a Wheel Gun for self defense now days.
        Yea.. But its not like your gonna be hiking in a remote location in your hoochie shorts, tube top, and flip flops..so you would probably have a spot for a wheelgun...? I have a Charter Arms Bulldog 5 shot .44 Special Thats a little heavy.(for me)...but easy to CC That might be a good hiking gun..Short barrel ..but i imagine bear defense will be a close range situation..? The reason i said Polar Bear...is because the Guide gun i am lusting after has the big loop lever for if you have thick gloves on....Like an Alaskan Guide might have...lol.

Comment

If it’s too short range, it might be too late. ????

I am a fan of the Ruger RedHawk in the .44 Mag. I open carry most of the time.

Comment

If it’s too short range, it might be too late. ????

I am a fan of the Ruger RedHawk in the .44 Mag. I open carry most of the time.
            Now were talkin......lol. I have a thing for Ruger revolvers.. I have a Super Redhawk in .44Mag.. GP100 in .357. Vaquero 45LC and Stainless Blackhawk .44Mag for primitive nights. The only time i open carry is when working at the range ..just about everybody OCs there. I have a drop leg holster for my HK-VP40. To and from sometimes..? Also have a similar holster for my Fast-15 race gun. Are you into revolvers..or just have the 1..? I think they are functional works of art...lol. Probably got that from my Dad..he has always preferred them..and i learned on a Heritage .22 that my Brother has now....danget....lol.

Comment

Wouldnt shooting a bear at long range be poaching or something...? Im working crazy weird hrs this week.. so might be getting a little loopy....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RN Cindy View Post
                Wouldnt shooting a bear at long range be poaching or something...? Im working crazy weird hrs this week.. so might be getting a little loopy....lol.
                Nah, was referring to if the bear started charging you. I'd hope if the bear started charging you you'd stop it further out.

As far a long range shooting, I try to do some when I can. In W.Va, where I grew up, we use to do a lot of long range shooting for Deer, Coyotes, Ground hogs and bear there. This is before I had MOA / MIL Dot scopes. A lot of fun. The Nanny state in Ohio don't allow you to use Bottle Neck Calibers to hunt deer. but I can shoot a squirrel out of a tree with my .300 Win Mag in Ohio , but don't you dare shoot a deer.

You have to use an Elephant gun or slug/shotguns. Or, a Muzzleloader that can shoot 500 yards and more now days.

I like ALL the guns, what ever shoots, I like it. I have many of all kinds.

Comment

Just picked up a scoped S&W .44, 8" hog leg (couldn't help myself) plus a Marlin in .444 (no bog loop tho Cindy) and the icing on the cake was an original AMT .44 AMP! So, jumped feet first into the .44 caliber straight walls. Grabbed dies and components for everything, start loading for them soon. All three will accompany me to the deer woods at some point...

That Black bear that was spotted in Zanesville, then shot in Pataskala had to have practically strolled through my back yard a few yrs ago. My .45 ACP would only work with a head shot I fear...
                  Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

I have only see one .44 Automag. Somebody traded it in at the shop and it was only there for about 4 hrs and the owners son bought it.. Would have loved to had the chance to shoot it.. The only thing i reload are 12GA shotgun shells..but would like to expand that to some other things.. My favorite revolver round is the 41 Magnum, so thought about starting with that..plus its not always easy to find...and i have a 41 Mag Blackhawk.. That was John Wesley Hardin's preferred caliber..and i find him to be the most interesting of all the Wild West outlaws.

Comment

I shoot a S&W model 657 Hunter Classic (first edition) in .41 mag and I load for it. I've harvested MANY deer with that revolver. It is a GREAT cartridge, I say go for it!

The .44 AMP fell into my lap. A CCW student of mine from over 10yrs ago passed away. His daughter, who took the class with her dad, reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in any of her dad's firearms. Not many of those floating around out there... Got the dies, some brass, couple different projectiles to test out. Looking forward to it! I won't be bored this Winter ;-)
                      Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

Working...
                      X