X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stephen45-70
    started a topic slow in here

slow in here

not much activity going on so i'll show something i did the other day .

i have a friend who loads for an enfield with an oversize bore .. as he also shoots cast but doesnt have a lubesizer and the need for a .316 dia bullet buying a custom lee push threw size die becomes a bit of a pricy idea .

so i fired up my lathe and made him one ... took a couple hours but hey it keeps him out of my loading stuff when he needs to size bullets to crimp on a gas check .

• stephen45-70
    replied
    i am by no means a machinist , but i like to tinker .

i had a big heavy hendey lathe for a long time but it was well worn when i got and a bit beat up
    last year the 70 year old spindle bearings gave up the ghost and i bought a much smaller 10 inch bench top lathe .even with having to use change gears now i much prefer the smaller machine

way easier to do accurate work and i can thread metric threads now .. plus i now have room for a smaller bridgeport

Leave a comment:

• alanm
    replied
    i used the lathe to thread it , takes a few minutes to set up to single point threads
    but you end up with a better fitting thread .

Considering how close the thread gets to the shoulder I suspected as much.

My father taught me how to run a metal lathe (including cutting threads) before I learned to drive a car.
    He had bought a 10" Logan lathe (circa 1945) from the original owner in about 1961 and used it himself for another 20+ years.

Leave a comment:

• stephen45-70
    replied
    i used the lathe to thread it , takes a few minutes to set up to single point threads
    but you end up with a better fitting thread .

Leave a comment:

• alanm
    replied
    Looks nice.
    Did you cut the threads on the lathe or use a die?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X