No more NICS checks after CHL renewal?

Discussions related to the various aspects of legal concealed carry and Ohio gun laws.

Moderators: Linda, NRAInstructor

CamdenMike

No more NICS checks after CHL renewal?

Post by CamdenMike » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 am

Just got my CHL renewed for the third time (Erie County). I thought I read somewhere that anyone who has a license renewed or issued after March 2015 will no longer need to go through a NICS check when buying a firearm from an FFL because Ohio now requires a NICS check?

Is this correct or is my memory full of holes? I'm guessing you'd still have to fill out a 4473 so the FFL has a record of the transfer, but he won't have to call it in.

Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://mcullison.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @camdenmike

I got a gun for my wife. Good trade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JustaShooter

Re: No more NICS checks after CHL renewal?

Post by JustaShooter » Sat May 26, 2018 6:46 am

You still have to fill out the 4473, but the FFL now has the option of using your CHL in place of calling in the background check. Some do, many don't.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Brian D.

Re: No more NICS checks after CHL renewal?

Post by Brian D. » Sat May 26, 2018 1:15 pm

I just got a NICS compliant license with mylast renewal. Bought a gun the following weekend and the NICS system was running VERY slowly. Glad I didn't have to wait around after completing the 4473.
"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09