Eugene Stoner's ubiquitous Black Rifle, the AR-15 has become
the Modern symbol of the right of the individual to be armed
with an effective rifle capable of Defending Liberty. Discuss anything
related to the AR15 and other arms of this nature herein

Moderator: KnightOfTheOldeCode

ben

need input and opinions

Post by ben » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 pm

I am looking in to putting ambidextrious safety selector, mag catch, bolt catch and charging handle on my rifle. Is this a waste of time and money? If not, what manufacture should i use? I have a RRA more than likly will get the safety selector and mag catch from them but i am open for advice.
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance;
they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
-- George Washington

rebelhell

Re: need input and opinions

Post by rebelhell » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm

I just got the enhanced battery assist lever from tactical link. Puts your bolt catch control within reach of your trigger finger without taking your hand off the grip. Seems to work great so far. And since it just attaches to your original bolt catch, it takes about two minutes to install. (No I am not affiliated with Tactical Link.)
Tactical Link Website
Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

ben

Post by ben » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 am

I agree interesting
-- George Washington

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 am

its your rifle and do what you think ..personally i see no problem with anything .. word of advice don't buy the cheap stuff or it will break and dats sucks... the amby safety i think a great ideal .. and the charging handle is also a great ideal .. personally i would use a tactical latch .. the release is much bigger and you wont fumble with it as much ... the mag release .. the only problem i see is if you have large fingers like me you may accidentally bump it and the mag falls out ..

hell go for it ... and remember pictures or it didn't happen ...... :wink:
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

rjrivero

Post by rjrivero » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:37 pm

KISS....Not a fan of big flaps and levers that go through my trigger guard. When I was in the service, guys would try this stuff. Extra large latches on their charge handle hung up on their slings and web gear. Bolt release levers hung up on gloves. If you do decide to go with these extras, make sure you take them to a carbine course and find out what works, and what doesn't. For a casual shoter, hang on all the extra stuff you want to. For a battle rifle, keep it simple.

crb

Post by crb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:11 pm

I need to find a carbine course to run the rifle and I through. I've added a quad rail, folding grip, Viking tactics light mount, surefire flash light, rail front sling mount Magpul, Magpul single point sling mount, and Magpul multi mission 2 sling. My dealer has a range and was hoping to offer a long gun course, but I think it won't be until spring now. I plan to change our the stock, but I haven't decided which I want.

rebelhell

Post by rebelhell » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:49 am

Magpul also makes a similar version. The B.A.D. Lever

I ended up choosing the Tactical Link version because it's steel instead of plastic.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

ben

Post by ben » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:41 am

Thank you guys for the info. I will more than like use this info after i get back from my trip. But i do have a dumb question what is a tactical latch Rich is talking about.
-- George Washington

farslayer

Post by farslayer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 pm

The Magpull BAD lever is not plastic, it's made from Milspec anodized aluminum.

I had one, and removed it from my Rock River after my Tactical rifle course.

During the tactical course one of the trainers asked how I liked it, and commented that he and a couple friends had tried them and started having issues with the bolt hold-open not locking the bolt back on an empty mag.. After removing the BAD lever their problems went away. He asked if I had experienced that issue, and as a matter of fact I had... I thought I had a bad magazine but I wasn't sure which one.

When you are shooting a CMP Highpower matches and do 30 rounds of single load during the match a bolt that doesn't lock back properly is a real hindrance.

After removing the BAD lever the issue went away, and the bolt locks back every time on an empty mag, so the trainer was right.

Keep this in mind if you run into a similar issue.

Anyone want a good deal on a BAD Lever ? well made, ultra light, but apparently the concept is still slightly flawed, and even that minute addition of length and mass onto the paddle can and does affect operation.
Last edited by farslayer on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:11 am

farslayer wrote:The Magpull BAD lever is not plastic, it's made from Milspec anodized aluminum.

I had one, and removed it from my Rock River after my Tactical rifle course.

During the tactical course one of the trainers asked how I liked it, and commented that he and a couple friends had tried them and started having issues with the bolt hold-open not locking the bolt back on an empty mag.. After removing the BAD lever their problems went away. He asked if I had experienced that issue, and as a matter of fact I had... I thought I had a bad magazine but I wasn't sure which one.

When you are shooting a CMP Highpower matches and do 3 rounds of single load during the match a bolt that doesn't lock back properly is a real hindrance.

After removing the BAD lever the issue went away, and the bolt locks back every time on an empty mag, so the trainer was right.

Keep this in mind if you run into a similar issue.

Anyone want a good deal on a BAD Lever ? well made, ultra light, but apparently the concept is still slightly flawed, and even that minute addition of length and mass onto the paddle can and does affect operation.
If you go to a match with a rifle inspection and/or someone challenges your rifle, I think that attachment will be ruled illegal in Service Rifle, requiring it be removed or you changing over to Match Rifle class.

Buckshot
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright as of date of post
All rights reserved by author

farslayer

Post by farslayer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:52 am

I believe you are correct that option would not pass the inspection.. The match I shoot is rather informal. Now with it removed anyway it's no longer an issue..
--
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

ben

Post by ben » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 am

Sounds like i should just stick with the mag release and saftey sel.
-- George Washington

WileyCoyote

Post by WileyCoyote » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 am

...curious if the OP decided to install this h/w..? any recommendations from it.?
NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc