45 auto question for Rich 2.0

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

BMJP

45 auto question for Rich 2.0

Post by BMJP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:45 am

I gathered some brass polished it up picked through it and found some Blazer brass with small pistol primers? Should I just discard them or use magnum small pistol primers in them while reloading them?
NRA
CCFSA member
Prior ARMY
UNION BOILERMAKER

willbird

Re: 45 auto question for Rich 2.0

Post by willbird » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:30 am

BMJP wrote:I gathered some brass polished it up picked through it and found some Blazer brass with small pistol primers? Should I just discard them or use magnum small pistol primers in them while reloading them?
I'm not Rich, but I would set them aside and sell them on cast boolits, some guys will buy anything, if you run one in a progressive by mistake you could get a KABOOM at the worst, at best the primer does not seat and you go ^&%$#@...but depending on the press that could cause a double charge if your not careful.
America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

BMJP

Post by BMJP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Just using single stage lee breechlock challenger press. I just started reloading. The blazer brass was picked up at a range and I only have 10-15 so not a loss if I chuck them in the trash.....
NRA
CCFSA member
Prior ARMY
UNION BOILERMAKER

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 pm

any pistol brass that takes small primers i chuck em ... cause if not you got to buy small primer tools and one day you forget while watchin a movie and prime one and bang.... so i just chuck em personally
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

dl645

Post by dl645 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 pm

After cleaning I sort the .45 brass into 3 piles. Military stuff which will need to be deprimed and reamed, the "regular" large pistol primer, and the small pistol primer. I wait until I have a fair amount of the small pistol primer and then do a run with just that. I've just loaded it with standard small pistol primers and it works fine. If you're doing competition (IDPA/IPSC/USPSA), the velocity tends to be a little lower so chrono them if you run it close to the margin. Otherwise I keep them aside after loading and use them at lost brass matches!
Dale

BMJP

Post by BMJP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for the responses I chose to chuck em........
NRA
CCFSA member
Prior ARMY
UNION BOILERMAKER