Reloading start up cost

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

willbird

Re: Reloading start up cost

Post by willbird » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 am

crb wrote:
Rich 2.0 wrote: for 223/556 i can do super match / or the hornday tap rounds for about .20-.25 pennies a round when you pay 19 to 25 bucks for a box of 20..

so right there a savings of 70-75 dollars per hundred
That's it rich I think you sold me I just bought two boxes of hornady tap .223 for $20.25/20 rounds.

I have a weekly ammo budget of $40-$50 a week and the wife and I were just talking about saving it up and going to fin, feather, and fur and buy case qualities. I think ill save up my weekly budget and buy a press. Last time I priced all the gear out I figured about a budget of $1500 would be needed this was a couple years ago. I talked myself out of getting into reloading once, at the time I only shot 9mm. I even bought a used press and resold it. The ARs change everything now really it will make it more than worthwhile to reload. I currently own .357 Sig, 40, 45, and .223/.556. I also have shotties, rimfire, and a 30-30 although I don't think I would reload 30-30 it is rarely shot actually almost sold the 30-30 as I only bought it for a truck gun.

Anyway which press do you use or recommend?

Most people recomend dillon precision it seems.
I did a lot of research at http://WWw.brianenos.com before. He used to have a lot of info on his site.

Is a progressive really worth the cost?
A progressive is worth the cost to create decent volumes of ammo, if you shoot only 500 rounds a year in each caliber a progressive might not be worth it. A progressive also holds it's value better, if well cared for a Dillon RL550B or 650 will sell for a fairly high percentage of what a new one costs, the conversions and dies sell seperately for again a fairly high % of new cost.

But if I had to have one or the other, single stage or progressive, it would be single stage without a second thought.
America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

crb

Post by crb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Last time I looked into reloading I had many people suggest loading rifle cartridges in a single stage. What are your thoughts?

How many rounds can be loaded an hr on a single stage? How many on a progressive?

Anybody care to post pics of your reloading bench?

Would it be okay to reload in my basement? My basement stays a little damp. I have a dehumidifier but it still seems s little damp. I have a spare bedroom I can use.

Dillon 550b is the model I am eye balling anybody have one? Have a review?

Any restriction on how much powder we can possess?

bornfree

Post by bornfree » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 pm

evan price wrote:I reload and cast my own bullets. I can shoot 38 special for 3 cents each... that's $1.50 per box of 50 rounds.

Even if I had to buy bullets that raises the price to roughly 8 cents each. $4 a box of 50 rounds.

Most pistol rounds are about the same price.

I reload 308 WIN for less than surplus. And the rounds are tailored to my rifle.

Buy in bulk and save.
Where can I buy bullets for that price? Maybe I can start buying a few components at a time.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)

willbird

Post by willbird » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 am

crb wrote:Last time I looked into reloading I had many people suggest loading rifle cartridges in a single stage. What are your thoughts?

How many rounds can be loaded an hr on a single stage? How many on a progressive?

Anybody care to post pics of your reloading bench?

Would it be okay to reload in my basement? My basement stays a little damp. I have a dehumidifier but it still seems s little damp. I have a spare bedroom I can use.

Dillon 550b is the model I am eye balling anybody have one? Have a review?

Any restriction on how much powder we can possess?
The 550B is a good press, but for day varmint rifle ammo, or precision rifle ammo I would prefer a single stage.

The 550b will easily load 300 rounds an hour, you are limited by how fast you can fill primer tubes, move bullets and brass in, and move loaded ammo out. When I refill the primer tube I check the powder level too, and add if needed, put more bullets in the tray, take away loaded ammo, bring in brass.

crb

Post by crb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:42 am

A single stage press isn't all that expensive honestly especially when you already have all the other equipment necessary.

dl645

Post by dl645 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:35 am

bornfree wrote:Where can I buy bullets for that price? Maybe I can start buying a few components at a time.
Montana Gold (http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/) come in at about .08 ea for the 9mm. But you have to order a case to get that price.
Dale

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:26 pm

i actually do my rifle rounds on a old rock chucker single stage for anal consistency sakes ... if you want to load tap rounds i got one hell of a recipe that i share with ya .... :D

very consent and accurate.... :wink:

depending on where you are ill even show ya ... im in the burbs of columbus...
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

crb

Post by crb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I have quote a bit of pistol ammo so I think ill start by reloading .223. Could I talk you into outing a list of equipment needed, prefared brands, a basic guide to equipment. I've got the book the abc's of reloading. I have a million questions or so it seems. FYI I can be anal retentive as the wife puts it I prefer the term ocd.

Anyway for instance do you use digital calibers or dial or both?
Digital or dial scale or both?

I'm getting serious about this stuff now.

willbird

Post by willbird » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Well as far as calipers go, mitutoyo digital. A 0-1" micrometer would be good too.

The single stage press will give you a much more consistant shoulder bump and bullet seating depth, and you can more easily clean primer pockets before seating bullets.

If you had both a single stage and progressive, you could FL resize and decap, then clean (and I prefer to uniform with a cutter) primer pockets, then use the progressive to assemble ammo...the force required to FL resize is what causes variations in shoulder bump and seating depth in a progressive.

Bill

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 am

crb wrote:I have quote a bit of pistol ammo so I think ill start by reloading .223. Could I talk you into outing a list of equipment needed, prefared brands, a basic guide to equipment. I've got the book the abc's of reloading. I have a million questions or so it seems. FYI I can be anal retentive as the wife puts it I prefer the term ocd.

Anyway for instance do you use digital calibers or dial or both?
Digital or dial scale or both?

I'm getting serious about this stuff now.

Just drop me a line
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

Bunker

Post by Bunker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 am

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

willbird

Post by willbird » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:20 pm

As far as calipers go, as a machinist I gladly left dial calipers behind, they are prone to several issues, one being getting crap in the rack and skipping a tooth, and also wearing more down around 1" then not being accurate at longer distances. Most reloaders may not wear them enough to see that, but why not buy the superior product to begin with ?

Some of the off brand digital act a bit "funny"..they may be accurate but the numbers react oddly when moving the slide, the brother in law has a set and they drive me nuts :-).

if you throw down for a set of 6" mitutoyo (maybe 4" depending on what you load, and what else you might use them for) if you do not drop them on concrete they will last you a lifetime probably, I have 3-4 sets around and only the very early ones they made in the 80's ever crapped out...those ones used two 357 watch batteries and used em up quick, the newer ones use one, are always on, and batteries last a year or more.

bornfree

Post by bornfree » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 am

I have finished reading ABC's of reloading and am starting on the Lyman reloading handbook 49th edition.

I didn't realize that there was so much to casting bullets. I mean all the stuff dealing with melting the lead and casting seemed like a lot, but then they have to be lubricated and swagged. Also leading to more equipment.

Although I was planning on using plated bullets to at least start with.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)

willbird

Post by willbird » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 am

bornfree wrote:I have finished reading ABC's of reloading and am starting on the Lyman reloading handbook 49th edition.

I didn't realize that there was so much to casting bullets. I mean all the stuff dealing with melting the lead and casting seemed like a lot, but then they have to be lubricated and swagged. Also leading to more equipment.

Although I was planning on using plated bullets to at least start with.
It can be as simple as casting them and dipping them in a liquid and letting them dry. Have a look at the cast boollits webpage for info. For some uses people actually use Johnsons paste wax. Lee liquid alox is very popular, but there are other dip and let dry products too. Worst case with the liquid alox is you might have to size with a Lee push through die in a reloading press. I'm not a big fan of "liquid earwax" as some refer to it because I do not like it on the bullet noses or bases, but some go as far as applying it with a pad like you use with rubber stamps so it only ends up on the full dia part of the bullet.

Not to bust your chops, but swaging typically means increasing the dia of a bullet while altering it's shape as well. Sizing is what most casters do, make it smaller. Some folks making cast rifle bullets do some controlled "bumping up" of the nose portion which often rodes on the lands of the barrel, many molds as they come from the factory cast this section undersized, to get good accuracy there is a way to swage that section a few .001 bigger.

AaronM

Post by AaronM » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 am

We are thinking of putting on a Relaoding Class coming up in October ... would there be any interest? Our NRA councelor will be teaching the class.