9mm reloading questions

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

NRAInstructor

Re: 9mm reloading questions

Post by NRAInstructor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 am

Ted D wrote:I don't know where to put this.I'm new to reloading I have all my equipment set up.I'm reloading 9mm.I'm using federal and blazer brass cases,115grain Rainer bullets,Federal small pistol match primers,and Unique powder.I went on the alliant website it didn't give me the recipe for this setup.It gave me sreer bullet,cci 500 primer charge weight of 6.3 grains.The guy at the gunshop said to start with 6 grains.My charges are coming out at 5.8 grains would that be a safe start?(on the lee die set the oal is 1.69 mine are 1.15)also the finished product has very small scratches on the case when I rub my fingers on it they are smooth is this ok?And also should I fractory crimp it?From all the things I have read some say not to others say to fractory crimp.YOUR HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED.
I looked into this a little and I think you are close, but you need to research it a bit further. For loading Rainier you need to look at data for lead bullets, not jacketed. I THINK you are close to a safe charge but since I don't have all the details I don't know if you are closer to the minimum, the maximum or maybe a little oustide of the scale.

When asking a question on here, more specifics are needed. The brand and weight of the bullet is good info but what type is it? I am assuming you're just using thier regular plated RN but I don't know. Also, when you're quoting lengths and powder charges are these min, max? Only one listed in your scource?

Scratches... Is this new brass? Once fired?

Crimp..That's kind of hard to answer because I don't know what you got goin on there. Normally a slight taper crimp for 9mm is fine.

This is from the Rainier site.
Loading Data

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data.

If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load, and you may use published load data found in reputable reloading manuals.

A slight roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets;

Overcrimping plated bullets may result in decreased accuracy, and fragmentation of copper plating.
Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Ted D

Post by Ted D » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Its a typo it's 1.169 by the book.They are used cases and my pess is making the scratches.Bullets are rn .355 diameter jacketed
Last edited by Ted D on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axgrinder73

Post by axgrinder73 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Ted D wrote:I don't know where to put this.I'm new to reloading I have all my equipment set up.I'm reloading 9mm.I'm using federal and blazer brass cases,115grain Rainer bullets,Federal small pistol match primers,and Unique powder.I went on the alliant website it didn't give me the recipe for this setup.It gave me sreer bullet,cci 500 primer charge weight of 6.3 grains.The guy at the gunshop said to start with 6 grains.My charges are coming out at 5.8 grains would that be a safe start?(on the lee die set the oal is 1.69 mine are 1.15)also the finished product has very small scratches on the case when I rub my fingers on it they are smooth is this ok?And also should I fractory crimp it?From all the things I have read some say not to others say to fractory crimp.YOUR HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED.
Ted,

I think you would be better served to start your own post in the reloading section. This will likely get more exposure than reply in a thread a couple of years old.

Anyhow, my speer manual shows a start charge of 5.6 and a max charge of 6.3 grains of Unique for a 115gr TMJRN. Tested OAL of 1.135".

I think you mistyped the OAL in the lee data, it reads 1.169" as the maximum OAL.

So, I believe your starting at 5.8 grains (Unique) and an OAL of 1.15 would be a safe starting point but don't trust me, verify it yourself...

I do not use the factory crimp die as I have never read anything to convince me I need it.
Keep your friends close and your .45 closer!

NRAInstructor

Post by NRAInstructor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Ted D wrote:Its a typo it's 1.169 by the book.They are used cases and my pess is making the scratches.Bullets are rn .355 diameter jacketed
They are not jacketed, they are plated. Based on all that though I think you are okay, but like axegrinder said verify this for yourself through some research. The scratches shouldn't be an issue, are you using case lube?

If you decide to go try these loads out, I would start by firing just one. Put it in the magazine and rack the slide and it should go right in. Fire it, the slide should lock back (assuming your gun has that feature). Then, find your casing and look for signs of stress or bulging, check your target to see if you hit anything :D . If all that goes well try two or three in the magazine and make sure everything cycles properly and check those cases. If that goes smooth shoot 100 of em or so and stick to that load, make sure you write it down somewhere. If you have feeding issues or anything post it back on here or start a new thread and I'm sure someone will try to help you figure it out.
Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Ted D

Post by Ted D » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for the input.I won't beable to test them out until next sun. the range I go to has classes this weekend so I'll post another thread and let you know what happens.

robertov416

Post by robertov416 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:10 pm

I just test fired my first reloads for 9mm... they were 115 gn cast bullets. There is no specific data on this weight in either the 49th Lyman book or the Hodgen/IMR site, so using 231 powder, I was advised by an out-of-state friend that found data for this round in his 47th Lyman edition, to back down the powder load on the 120 gn cast bullet to keep the FPS low and keep "leading" down in a Glock 17. Unfortunately, my powder load was too low and I had to manually cycle to eject every round at the range. I was pleased with the grouping, but disappointed that my first loads in the semi-auto didn't work out so well. My next attempt will be to bump up to the published "low" starting powder weight for the 120 gn cast unless I can find actual data for the 115 gn cast in the meantime.

Lessons learned: Don't make a batch of 50 rounds on untested data.

I picked up the Lymans Cast book at a gun show today, so perhaps I can glean some more insight there as well.

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm

one thing i would change is the powder you're using .. all i ever will use is titegroup , for all my 44,45acp .. i even use it on 9 and 380 when i do them .. its a extremely clean powder thats forgiving and very consistent ..

but i just loaded 500 rounds of 44 mag with it

and i use 9.5 grains and it falls in the spectrum from 200 grain all the way up to 310 grain on the 44 mag spectrum .. try it next time i think you will love it as much as i do ..

here is a great on line reload site .........

you can thank me by sending kookies ..

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

i have reloaded more than 10000 rounds in the last 6 months please ask me before asking a gun shop i promise that the answer i give will be better than theirs.......... :ewink:
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

robertov416

Post by robertov416 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Rich 2.0 wrote:one thing i would change is the powder you're using .. all i ever will use is titegroup , for all my 44,45acp .. i even use it on 9 and 380 when i do them .. its a extremely clean powder thats forgiving and very consistent ..

but i just loaded 500 rounds of 44 mag with it

and i use 9.5 grains and it falls in the spectrum from 200 grain all the way up to 310 grain on the 44 mag spectrum .. try it next time i think you will love it as much as i do ..

here is a great on line reload site .........

you can thank me by sending kookies ..

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

i have reloaded more than 10000 rounds in the last 6 months please ask me before asking a gun shop i promise that the answer i give will be better than theirs.......... :ewink:
Thanks... one of the things I noticed was that the 231 was dirty... reminded me of russian rounds I'd used.

I'd checked out the Hodgdon site, but they didn't have data for the cast bullet I was using.

If it works, I'll send you all of the Internet Browser kookies you want. :)

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm

125 grain lead

flat nose round nose ???
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

robertov416

Post by robertov416 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Rich 2.0 wrote:125 grain lead

flat nose round nose ???
115 grain cast round nose

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 am

its right here..

115 GR. LRN Hodgdon Titegroup .356" 1.100" 3.9 1075 25,800 CUP 4.3 1151 30,500 CUP