Defensive Ammo for 38 special and 357?

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

BornLib

Re: Defensive Ammo for 38 special and 357?

Post by BornLib » Wed May 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Buckeye Dan wrote:I sometimes carry a Taurus M85 myself. I keep it loaded with Winchester 38 special +p 125 grain JHP.
Funnily enough I picked up a Taurus 85 for myself in the interim.

In the end I decided to feed both revolvers Remington Golden Saber 125 grain .38 Special +P.

The GS in .357 magnum also seems to be extremely well regarded but I haven't had a chance to try that out in my 689 yet.
BornLib's Blog - Life, Liberty, and the Firearms that protect them both
BFA Defender
USCCA Member

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."
-- Mark Twain

stephen45-70

Post by stephen45-70 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 pm

my idea of self defense ammo may differ from most , but it will be hard to beat a full wadcutter for being very very acurate and poking nice large holes into mobile meat objects , velocity isnt everything

willbird

Post by willbird » Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 pm

stephen45-70 wrote:my idea of self defense ammo may differ from most , but it will be hard to beat a full wadcutter for being very very acurate and poking nice large holes into mobile meat objects , velocity isnt everything
I really have not read any material where they have tested them.

Bill
America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

Viking

Post by Viking » Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 am

willbird wrote:
stephen45-70 wrote:my idea of self defense ammo may differ from most , but it will be hard to beat a full wadcutter for being very very acurate and poking nice large holes into mobile meat objects , velocity isnt everything
I really have not read any material where they have tested them.

Bill

Plus,

...this is coming from a guy who previously posted that single-shot .45-70 is the penultimate in combat rifle design. :arrow: How'd that work out for Custer's 7th cav?
US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

willbird

Post by willbird » Fri May 18, 2012 12:07 pm

I knew an older guy (Hugh "Ted" VanDyke) who somewhere or other had found the information that a heavy sheepskin vest would stop 38 special lead round nose. I never saw the actual info.

Bill

kentguy

Post by kentguy » Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 pm

As I am reading this thread I couldn't help but stop and think to myself... ".357 Magnum Self Defense Ammo"? I have made 158g LSWC that I use for target rounds (velocity of only 907 fps), that will rip through a Carhart's jacket like it's going through paper.

So my thought is if you are going to carry or just stick your .357 Magnum in your night stand, check the side of the box, most anything traviling on or over 1,000 fps is going to do some serious and most likely fatal damage. I guess I would lean more toward accuarcy over fire power. ALWAYS REMEMBER in a crisis situation you only have a second(s) (if that) to react, so your first shot is going to be the most important shot. You got to make it count! Remember the old saying... "Pratice makes perfect".

That is unless some one comes into your place with a full re-enforced kevlar suit... then I think it's time to move up to a S&W 500 .50 caliber! That ought to do it! :wink:

Alan

techguy85

Post by techguy85 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:34 pm

If someone comes in my house with body armor I messed up somewhere. I don't think criminals even know what that is. At least the garden variety ones. I guess I would keep firing as I went for the shiny new AR-15

Nitrobird76

Post by Nitrobird76 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:34 am

Ok, so you put three shots center of mass. Bad guy still coming at you. Hmmmmm... As the old sayin' goes. Three in the head, you know their dead.

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:38 am

2 to the cheast and one to the head.............
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

willbird

Post by willbird » Sat May 19, 2012 8:36 am

Nitrobird76 wrote:Ok, so you put three shots center of mass. Bad guy still coming at you. Hmmmmm... As the old sayin' goes. Three in the head, you know their dead.

With Tueller distance and Ohio's duty to retreat I think it would be hand to hand before you typically get 3 shots into center mass and then have to change tactics.