big racoon and ammo question.

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

crb

big racoon and ammo question.

Post by crb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Okay so about 6 weeks ago I had to dispatch a large racoon that was under our deck fairly close to the block wall. I took the pellet and ruger mark III hunter out. I thought I would scare it out from under the deck with pellet gun. Wrong! I ended up shooting it 6 times , I'm guessing it was sickly as it barely moved when I hit it the first time. Anyway my question is is there a better 22 round for this job? I was using bulk pack fedral target rounds. Should I go with a larger caliber? I was concerned about a through and through, hitting the wall and taking a bullet myself so I used the 22. Also couldn't get a head shot because the way he was positioned.

I need to get my 17hmr rifle sighted back in for this purpose, but the way he was in there a pistol was way handier.

I know there is better ammunition, just looking for suggestions.

dademoss

Re: big racoon and ammo question.

Post by dademoss » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:06 pm

I would try the Remington Viper ammo if you dont have your .17 handy :)

45Glocknocker

Post by 45Glocknocker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 pm

As I'm sure you already know, shot placement is more important than bullet choice.
But...if a questionable body shot is your only option, my vote would have to go with the .22 caliber CCI Stingers.
A pass-through is doubtful, as would be a follow up shot.
It's a pretty impressive round for a small caliber.
45 ACP...Because shooting twice is silly!

bornfree

Post by bornfree » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I have been using 22 shorts in close quarters on our over populated raccoons and opossums. But that is up close head shots.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)

crb

Post by crb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 pm

He was back under the deck pretty good 15' plus from me, I took care if it quick enough. I would have preferred a quicker instant death. I don't want to make an animal suffer a slow death.

Buckeye Dan
Site Admin

Post by Buckeye Dan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:17 am

When is Raccoon season again? Are there laws pertaining to them in the event they become invasive or a health concern for neighboring humans? You would think I knew this stuff off the top of my head but..............
Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.

bornfree

Post by bornfree » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 am

Buckeye Dan wrote:When is Raccoon season again? Are there laws pertaining to them in the event they become invasive or a health concern for neighboring humans? You would think I knew this stuff off the top of my head but..............
They kept getting in the garbage and coming on the porch for the cat food. I started live trapping and called the game warden. He said they had to be destroyed or turned loose at point of capture.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)

AaronM

Post by AaronM » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 am

Fox, Raccoon, Skunk, Opossum, Weasel
November 10, 2011 - January 31, 2012 No Limit

Turn in a Poacher: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re ... fault.aspx
1-800-POACHER :mrgreen: :lol:

Ken45

Post by Ken45 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:49 am

Buckeye Dan wrote:When is Raccoon season again? Are there laws pertaining to them in the event they become invasive or a health concern for neighboring humans? You would think I knew this stuff off the top of my head but..............
SSS covers it.
aka OhioPaints

willbird

Post by willbird » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

Ken45 wrote:
SSS covers it.
I had an older neighbor, he was "old" when I was a kid. But anyway he had a squirrel getting into his house, he shot it, and a neighbor reported him. The Police came over the next day to talk it over, she showed them where it was getting into his house, that he had repaired the area but they gnawed it right back open again. The Police agreed it was a nuisance but asked where the corpse was, when he found out they ATE it, he told the man he had to write him a ticket and that was that.

Waste not want not and all of that can bite you in the rear I suppose.

Bill
America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

The other way to "exterminate" a problem raccoon is just to just to take the live trap and drop it into a trashcan full of water - no mess or ammo wasted (a good suburbia method.)

Coons were destructive to even garbage secured in a cage in northern woods of MI. My dad used to shoot them in the live trap with a .22 rifle, but the old codger next door showed us how it was done by simply securing a line to the trap and tossing it off the dock into the lake, raccoon & all. Wait a minute or two and deposit carcass in woods.
US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

crb

Post by crb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Viking wrote:The other way to "exterminate" a problem raccoon is just to just to take the live trap and drop it into a trashcan full of water - no mess or ammo wasted (a good suburbia method.)

Coons were destructive to even garbage secured in a cage in northern woods of MI. My dad used to shoot them in the live trap with a .22 rifle, but the old codger next door showed us how it was done by simply securing a line to the trap and tossing it off the dock into the lake, raccoon & all. Wait a minute or two and deposit carcass in woods.

Didn't have time for the live trap. We were heading out for 5 days. The digs were barking at it all morning, it didn't try to run or attack the dogs which I thought was odd.

Buckeye Dan
Site Admin

Post by Buckeye Dan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:38 pm

crb wrote:
Viking wrote:The other way to "exterminate" a problem raccoon is just to just to take the live trap and drop it into a trashcan full of water - no mess or ammo wasted (a good suburbia method.)

Didn't have time for the live trap. We were heading out for 5 days. The digs were barking at it all morning, it didn't try to run or attack the dogs which I thought was odd.
Missing: One pet raccoon. Gets along with people and animals real well. Loves dogs. Has a leg injury that prevents it from running...........*sniffle*
Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:12 am

willbird wrote:I had an older neighbor, he was "old" when I was a kid. But anyway he had a squirrel getting into his house, he shot it, and a neighbor reported him. The Police came over the next day to talk it over, she showed them where it was getting into his house, that he had repaired the area but they gnawed it right back open again. The Police agreed it was a nuisance but asked where the corpse was, when he found out they ATE it, he told the man he had to write him a ticket and that was that.

Bill
Ticketed for giving too much information!

"Officer, we flushed the carcass down the toilet after cutting it to fit. Didn't want to bury it where it might get a dog in trouble." You are NOT reuquired to list all the intermediate steps!

As for caliber, a buddy of mine (in a township, not in a village, town or city) had a stumbling raccoon try to take up residence in his garage. He used a .40 S&W 165 gr. HP to take care of it. Reported it as "one shot, one kill".

Buckshot
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright as of date of post
All rights reserved by author

crb

Post by crb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:10 am

Buckshot wrote:
willbird wrote:I had an older neighbor, he was "old" when I was a kid. But anyway he had a squirrel getting into his house, he shot it, and a neighbor reported him. The Police came over the next day to talk it over, she showed them where it was getting into his house, that he had repaired the area but they gnawed it right back open again. The Police agreed it was a nuisance but asked where the corpse was, when he found out they ATE it, he told the man he had to write him a ticket and that was that.

Bill
Ticketed for giving too much information!

"Officer, we flushed the carcass down the toilet after cutting it to fit. Didn't want to bury it where it might get a dog in trouble." You are NOT reuquired to list all the intermediate steps!

As for caliber, a buddy of mine (in a township, not in a village, town or city) had a stumbling raccoon try to take up residence in his garage. He used a .40 S&W 165 gr. HP to take care of it. Reported it as "one shot, one kill".

Buckshot
Did the round exit the body? I forgot I have fragnenting 40 rounds I could have used. Not sure how well they would fragment in s racoon, with less resistance than a human.