big racoon and ammo question.

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

45Glocknocker

Re: big racoon and ammo question.

Post by 45Glocknocker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:03 am

Not sure how well they would fragment in a raccoon, with less resistance than a human.
Not to worry...it would have fragmented fine on the floor UNDER the raccoon.
45 ACP...Because shooting twice is silly!

pleasantguywhopacks

Post by pleasantguywhopacks » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 am

google Golden Malrin and coke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
OFCC Patron
BFA supporter
Life Member NRA
Psalms 35

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 am

crb wrote:
Buckshot wrote:
willbird wrote:I had an older neighbor, he was "old" when I was a kid. But anyway he had a squirrel getting into his house, he shot it, and a neighbor reported him. The Police came over the next day to talk it over, she showed them where it was getting into his house, that he had repaired the area but they gnawed it right back open again. The Police agreed it was a nuisance but asked where the corpse was, when he found out they ATE it, he told the man he had to write him a ticket and that was that.

Waste not want not and all of that can bite you in the rear I suppose.

Bill
Ticketed for giving too much information!

"Officer, we flushed the carcass down the toilet after cutting it to fit. Didn't want to bury it where it might get a dog in trouble." You are NOT reuquired to list all the intermediate steps!

As for caliber, a buddy of mine (in a township, not in a village, town or city) had a stumbling raccoon try to take up residence in his garage. He used a .40 S&W 165 gr. HP to take care of it. Reported it as "one shot, one kill".

Buckshot
Did the round exit the body? I forgot I have fragnenting 40 rounds I could have used. Not sure how well they would fragment in s racoon, with less resistance than a human.
No, the round DID NOT exit. He chose the 165 gr. HP for that reason, it was the lightest bullet he had. He also had 180 gr HP and 165 & 180 gr. FMJ.

He burned the carcass since it was stumbling and he was worried about rabies since he has a dog and kids.

Don't know what brand he used.

Buckshot
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright as of date of post
All rights reserved by author

Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Hello,

Big and slow is my preference for these critters. Namely, .45acp. I use my dead soft cast 230 grain truncated cone critter loads. They're relatively mild, the charge being 5.2 grains of Winchester 231. I had the charge set at 5.6 grains of W231 or 5.0 grains of Bullseye, but it wasn't needed.

This stems from other folks' experiences with the critters as well as my own. One gent, "Possum" from another board, used to have all sorts of problems and resorted to a Bowie knife to finish them.

When I lived on the farm, we had a very large raccoon den up in a large tree in front. I emptied the Winchester 92/22 magnum on it... then reloaded and was about half through the second magazine of CCI hollowpoints when it fell. Seems I hit everyplace but the brain. I was no good at shooting at that extreme of an angle at that point in my life, the farm being flat land for miles each direction.

Here in the woods when they get too close to the house and start damaging things, I do light them up with a spotlight. The eye shine gives me a target right into the brain... but this is a controlled lane of fire I've set up previous to actually shooting, and I'm using a 'scope on the target .22LR with subsonic rounds.

From what I've found, if you can be sure of a brain hit, anything will work. If you plan to shoot anywhere else, use something that will either fragment spectacularly on impact (varmint bullet) or something that starts out big.

Bull raccoons are very tough, and you need massive tissue or nerve disruption to kill them immediately.

I also consider these dangerous as they will generally attack if wounded, if they're not hunted heavily around your place. Raccoons get used to folks fast, and they can turn very mean when hurt.

Josh

1125rguy

Post by 1125rguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 pm

.22 hollow point with the tip filled with candle wax will do amazing things as well...
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars"

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 pm

CRB ................. dude....................

know how i would handle this ....... ill tell ya the same way i hunt ground hogs.......... multiple of kills with one teeny tiny bullet.....

whata ya do is get the wife to go to the store and buy fruits and vegitables..... no not for dinner but for luring .... i prefer a empty 2 liter of whatever cola you drink ..... fill the 2 liter bottle of tannerite and pile the fruits and vegetables around it ... kinda like a Trojan horse... see where I'm going ... no not nuts either...

wait for the victim to nibble .. hell leave don't worry hell be back with a few of his other friends .... just wait until there all nibbling on there last supper ..... steady , aim , and whalla .... pieces parts galore ....

mother in law lost it when she saw me do this in her back yard a few years ago .....

but they ain't been back since..........
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

NRAInstructor

Post by NRAInstructor » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 pm

fill the 2 liter bottle of tannerite and pile the fruits and vegetables around it
I laughed when I got to that part and instantly knew exactly where you were going. Brilliant! :P
Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

ThawMyTongue

Post by ThawMyTongue » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Rich, you wanna make a TV show? :twisted: We could make millions!
-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

tony269

Post by tony269 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 pm

trap it and dround it , use cheep can cat food and a large garbage can , fill with water and drop the trap in and don't tell anyone, that is how I do it....
"An Unarmed Man can only Flee from Evil, and Evil is not Overcome by Fleeing from it"---- Col.Jeff Cooper