stocking up before november

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

crb

stocking up before november

Post by crb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Last edited by crb on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich 2.0

Re: stocking up before november

Post by Rich 2.0 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:09 am

why hesitate ..

last night in 3 hours i reloaded 300 rounds of 44 mag on a single stage rockchucker........
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

Ken45

Post by Ken45 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:47 am

If you feel the need to stock up, I wouldn't wait. Prices will likely skyrocket as it gets closer to November. It happens every election cycle.

You could just stock up on the components first, that's where the shortages always are (and regular ammo) and wait to buy the reloading setup. If you decide not to get into reloading, you can always resell your components.

If you go to a public shooting range, pick up all the brass you can.

I did my first thousand rounds on a Rockchucker....and then bought a Dillon 550. That was many years ago (and about 30,000 rounds). I do not reload bottle neck rifle cases, it was cheaper to buy ammo by the case and stock up a dozen years ago.

Ken
aka OhioPaints

Viking

Post by Viking » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 pm

I would say stock up on Bullets & Primers ---that's what I am doing. At a minimum - primers. Bullets can be molded at home if things get reel tight. You can always reload your factory brass as necesary after each use - as long as it remains in spec. I don't think there was any issue with propellant last shortage - but it couldn't hurt stock up on that too. The main thing I like about reloading is the flexibility it offers me in this type of scenario. Worst case scenario you have stocked-up on supplies that will allow you to shoot inexpensively for a couple of years if this all blows over.
US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

Ken45

Post by Ken45 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Don't forget to stock up on powder too :)

If you shoot a revolver at a target where you can dig out your spent lead, even that is recoverable ;-) Primers and powder are the real choke point.

Ken
aka OhioPaints

crb

Post by crb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Last edited by crb on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viking

Post by Viking » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 am

crb wrote: I see the economy crumbling at I need to be more prepared in case I need to head to the woods.

Planning a camping trip? Or are you planning on "bugging out" in the 10 or so acres of public land in OH - just like every other internet survivalist...? :lol:
US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

crb

Post by crb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Last edited by crb on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kentguy

Post by kentguy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:42 am

crb,
Given the current climate in the good old US of A, the idea of "stocking up" is a very sound idea IMHO. Obama has made it clear that if re-elected he will be pushing hard for his "gun reform" legislation in the coming years. Now whether or not he gets that done or not is another story.

I am a reloader so I am a bit more bias toward "rolling your own" (so to speak :) ), If that is your choice, i'd get on it right now. Seting up of a shop and purchasing supplies, running & testing your loads to get them right... that is going to take some time.

Bugging out... sorry not a big fan, ONLY if I have no other choice! My home is my castle and I entend to pull up the draw bridge and take aim If (God forbid) it ever comes down to such a nightmare. If you are planning on bugging out you had better think in terms of taking one carbine and one or at the most two pistols, preferably all shooting the same caliber. .40 S&W, .357 magnum, .44 magnum or .45 ACP ammo is HEAVY, so transporting large quantities of all that will be totally impratical, you'll never make it down the end of your street! My suggestion... drop down to 9mm and use Hollow Points (this is where reloading will pay off), a carbine like (just for example) "Just Right Carbines" uses a Glock magazines. Now Glock makes a 33 round mag. My Glock 17 semi-auto (with 2 round mag extention) will hold 20 rounds and the weight is minimal compaired to other calibers.

Bugging out of State is fine if that is your plan, but make sure ahead of time that the place you are bugging out to is secure for you and your family (an old military trick), always have a fall back plan.

I wish you the best... I hope these thoughts help point you in the right direction.

Ken45

Post by Ken45 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am

If you are planning to stock up, November might be too late. I'm not really in the tin foil hat club but strange things seem to be happening. Why is Obama running campaign commercials NOW? Things just don't seem right....

There are those who feel that civil unrest will be provoked long before November so that he can escalate the situation big enough to declare martial law and indefinitely postpone the election. I know that is pretty far fetched, but then one starts to wonder.

We have had some pretty poor presidents, but this one is in a class of his own.

Just sayin....
aka OhioPaints

willbird

Post by willbird » Fri May 18, 2012 11:16 am

IMHO I'd stock the one thing that really went fast the last time around, PRIMERS.

And lay in a huge stock of 22lr bulk packs :-). Then trade for what you need if the need arises, both items you have "in stock" do not lose their value and you could get a table at the gunshow and put a fair price on them and get your $$ back in a weekend.
America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions

crb

Post by crb » Sun May 20, 2012 6:20 pm