Thinking of getting into reloading

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

SMMAssociates
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of getting into reloading

Post by SMMAssociates » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 am

Bill:

The damping hardware has to be set up properly - zero=zero, etc. :D.... Otherwise.... Although I suppose a tare adjustment could be made, but that would require a standard and....

I was lucky - all of the damped scales I worked with were close enough for the sort of work I was doing, and I did have the necessary goodies, etc., to check 'em out.

And, yes, you don't need to wait for the needle to stop.... But that implies a bit of skill that many of us don't have, or slept through in Chemistry Class :D.... I did it for years at the former day job - with that "student" balance, and with an Ohaus triple-beam, until I managed to talk somebody into taking my old scale :D. I bought a new one, calibrated in grams. While I posted "get one in grains", to avoid calculator errors, the work I was doing was made more accurate by using grams - a fractional gram is smaller than a fractional ounce when dealing with a cheap triple-beam, so I could get (once verified) a more accurate weight, and used a standard constant to convert that to what I needed.

In this case, a grain is a small enough unit....

Regards,
Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם

willbird

Re: Thinking of getting into reloading

Post by willbird » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:56 am

The early dampening methods used oil and pistons...and I seem to recall Philip Sharpe saying he had some misfortune due a a fly that wandered into the dampening system and died, throwing the balance off balance.
America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions