Wanting to get into reloading

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

Hedgelj

Wanting to get into reloading

Post by Hedgelj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 pm

I wanted to start a thread about my thoughts, get everyone's opinions and just make it my foray into reloading thread.

First questions:
1.) Any brands to stay away from? Any brands give the best bang for the buck?
2.) I'm really thinking I want a turret style so that I can set the dies and not have to move them again. Is there any reason to want a purely single stage instead? I don't shoot often enough to want/need a progressive stage at this point.
"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article

NRAInstructor

Re: Wanting to get into reloading

Post by NRAInstructor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:15 pm

1) Strictly opion and preference, you'll get a million answers.
2) For precision rifle loading you want a single stage and you want to weigh each and every powder charge and use a trickler. For plinking go with the turret or progressive.
Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm

NRAInstructor wrote:1) Strictly opion and preference, you'll get a million answers.
2) For precision rifle loading you want a single stage and you want to weigh each and every powder charge and use a trickler. For plinking go with the turret or progressive.
I am planning on using the turret like a single stage where I only do one thing over and over again but using the turret to keep the dies set. I was under the understanding that otherwise you have to reset the dies everytime you put them in the single stage.
"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article

NRAInstructor

Post by NRAInstructor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 pm

My Lee single stage has sort of an adaptor thing that screws onto the dies and a nut that locks them in place. When you switch the dies you just unlock it from the press and put the next already adjusted one in place. Still a good idea to check the overall length to make sure your seating die didn't move but I've never had to adjust one unless I was switching bullet types. I'm sure other brands have something similar.
Joel

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

axgrinder73

Post by axgrinder73 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes, you can use a turret press exactly like a single stage by simply not rotating the turret.

As far as brands, I would recommend looking at the Lee turret press. They get pretty good reviews and you can't beat their price point. If after you get settled into reloading and decide you want to drink koolaid of a different color, I bet you will get nearly all of your money back selling your used Lee press. (although, I would bet, even if you decide to upgrade, you will keep the turret for a spare...)

The forum at Loadmastervideos.com has a section dedicated to the turret presses.
Keep your friends close and your .45 closer!

NRAInstructor

Post by NRAInstructor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Also, if you think you might start reloading in the next few months, buy your primers tomorrow.
Joel

pps_dad

Post by pps_dad » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm

There are no primers available anywhere around me...I use the Lee turret press with the three hole turret for handgun calibers and the auto indexing feature, works great!
NRA Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm

I built my own tumbler, and the only thing I had to buy was a driveshaft collar at Ace Hardware for a couple bucks. Check out some of the designs on Youtube. I built mine from a dirt devil motor, a paint can, and an upside-down funnel.
Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.

Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Possibly working on a deal for a forster co ax press.
Any thoughts on them?

NRAInstructor

Post by NRAInstructor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Never heard of that one, I got your brass though.
Joel

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 am

RogerD wrote:I built my own tumbler, and the only thing I had to buy was a driveshaft collar at Ace Hardware for a couple bucks. Check out some of the designs on Youtube. I built mine from a dirt devil motor, a paint can, and an upside-down funnel.

don't laugh ............. but i bought one of these from harbor freight to tumble 50 bmg brass in .....

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tool ... 67536.html

:egrin:
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

RogerD

Post by RogerD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 am

good deal- I considered making a rotary but I didn't have anything to tear up for parts lol.
Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.

Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok just picked up some reloading materials. Won't have them in my actual possession for a couple of weeks but no worries.

Forster style Co Ax press
Forster style priming tool
Lyman #55 powder measure
Lyman Case trimmer
RCBS powder trickler
RCBS deburring tool
.44 mag die set
.270 die set
some boolits, some primers and brass

Thoughts on my purchases?

What Reloading manual is the best? Why are there so many different ones? Which contains the most information over a variety of bullets and powders?

I will be reloading for pistols and rifles, any suggestions of multipurpose or specialty powders that are highly recommended?

Suggestions on a powder scale? electronic or balance?

I know I need dies for the other calibers I want to reload for, that'll be another day's question.

axgrinder73

Post by axgrinder73 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Hedgelj wrote:What Reloading manual is the best? Why are there so many different ones? Which contains the most information over a variety of bullets and powders?
I don't know if there is a "best" reloading manual but it is very helpful to have multiple sources. Of course, there are plenty of online sources to backup your manual data. I have the Speer manual simply because it was available locally.
Hedgelj wrote:I will be reloading for pistols and rifles, any suggestions of multipurpose or specialty powders that are highly recommended?
That will depend largely on the caliber. I reload 9mm and .45 cal and like Winchester 231 but, I don't have a lot of experience with other flavors.
Hedgelj wrote:Suggestions on a powder scale? electronic or balance?.
I prefer a beam style scale. They just work.
Keep your friends close and your .45 closer!