NICS and Ohio Sealed Record

A forum for the discussion of all things firearm related, including gear, optics and more.

Moderators: Rick, KnightOfTheOldeCode

zomgarcwind

NICS and Ohio Sealed Record

Post by zomgarcwind » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:08 am

Okay so in 2005 I was charged with Felony theft, but offered "ILC" (Treatment In-leu of Conviction) which ended up having me plead guilty to the charge but with the clause if I completed all my court requirements the charges would be dropped.

Fast Forward to 2013, I completed the rest of my court requirements and the Judge dismissed the charge. It didnt really effect me until 2014 when I applied for a job and the charge showed up as a conviction on a background check, however once I sent the Background check people and my potential employer my copy of the dismissal they allowed me to work there.

Fast forward to October, I was eligible to have my record sealed, and it was completely sealed by the court. I am now interested in buying a gun and getting my concealed carry permit. From my research I will have no problem getting the sheriff to sign off on the permit because Ohio law specifically states I got my gun rights back, but im worried the NICS will flag me and deny me for a gun.

Anything I should know in advance or prepare for?

color of law

Re: NICS and Ohio Sealed Record

Post by color of law » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:38 pm

For one thing DO NOT PUT YOUR SS NUMBER ON THE 4473. It's voluntary. SO, DON'T VOLUNTEER. Not even if they beg you for it.

It may cause a delay. Is your name common? Do you live at a different address now than when you did when the charges were dismissed?

zomgarcwind

Post by zomgarcwind » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:09 pm

color of law wrote:For one thing DO NOT PUT YOUR SS NUMBER ON THE 4473. It's voluntary. SO, DON'T VOLUNTEER. Not even if they beg you for it.

It may cause a delay. Is your name common? Do you live at a different address now than when you did when the charges were dismissed?
My name is fairly common, and yes I live at a different address

SMMAssociates
Site Admin

Post by SMMAssociates » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:53 pm

zomgarcwind:

Welcome Aboard!

COL has probably offered a good suggestion. You should be fine within OH law. NICS gets a little stupid with regularity.

Meantime, there's a sticky at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at - just the first couple of pages unless you're into masochism :D....

It will give you some idea of who's here, and how the place works. Or at least you'll find out about the little dog in my avatar :mrgreen: .

Enjoy!
Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם